Whats Wrong With My Silkie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grumpypantsmomma, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    HELP! My silkie over the past few days has grown a lump on in its beak area, kinda off to one side and a little over the nostril!
    is it a tumor, lump from being pecked or is it natural the chick is 8 weeks! sorry about the blur, it wouldn't stay still!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I doubt it's from being pecked at. It's obviously an unnatural growth, but whether it's something that's serious or just cosmetic I wouldn't have a clue. If it was a pet, I'd probably take it to a vet. If not, then as long as it's not causing the little bird discomfort, and it's not attracting unwanted attention from other chickens (they're not pecking at the area), then I'd just leave it for now - at least unless it kept getting bigger. It probably will block the little one's view on that side, so may make picking up small pieces of food or treats more difficult though... Poor little thing - does make you feel bad for it, although the bird itself may not give a hoot...

Okay - I went back and reread to see that it's developed quickly, which does sound more worrisome. However, I still say if the bird isn't bothered by it, I'd just leave it (assuming it won't be going to the vet)...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Quote:The silkie doesnt seem bothered by it at all and when i touch it it doesn't even notice, it hasn't gotten any bigger thank god and its eating and drinking just fine! The other chicks don't seem to notice it so i don't have any problems there!
    I will give it time to see whats up! as long as its not in pain, eating and drinking, pooing norlaml and not being picked on i think s/he will be o.k.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by