1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what's wrong with my Silkie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mightymax, Jan 9, 2014.

1. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I have a white beared Silkie hen. Approx. 1 year old. She was fine last night but when I went out to feed this morning, she won't (can't) walk correctly...sitting on her butt and only walking, pushing herself backwards. Never forwards. She is eating and I have her in the house right now, but don't know what else to do...please any suggestions would be appreciated. She was my first Silkie and is extra sweet and special. thanks in advance.

2. Beckie G

Beckie G Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I wish i knew what was wrong, and owning silkies i would like to see if an "expert" could help you. I'm posting to bring your post back up to the top of the new posts. Good luck and i hope she is alright.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. dipsychicks

dipsychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    have you checked her feet and legs? im not a chicken expert myself but i know that bumblefoot can cause a chicken to walk funny. any broken claws?

4. dipsychicks

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    i'd suggest maybe frostbite but that's my state not yours! i just noticed where your from LOL!

5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    is her head twisted/turned funny when she walks backwards?
    is her tail twisted abnormally?

6. dipsychicks

Oct 3, 2013
    Fergus Falls, Minnesota
    is she broody? my silkie hen walks and talks funny when shes broody.

7. mightymax

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Just brought her in from a supervised outdoors trip. Outside she took several tentative steps forwards, but had her legs pretty bowlegged while doing this. Could she be egg bound? D/T the season, she hasn't laid an egg in over a month (she used to lay an egg every day or other). Her feet and claws don't appear hurt or with wounds nor frostbite (it does dip into the 'teens around here, but she sleeps with a few other silkies at night in an above the ground draft proof hen house and they are so far so good). She's back in MY house now, all cozy in a throw and when she DOES try to walk, she still prefers going backwards, kinda scoot-bumping on her rump and pushing backwards with her legs (like all my pets are somewhat 'backwards'...unique I'd have to correct myself and say...LOL). Could it be her back? I do have one very amourous silkie Roo that is just smitten with her (I of course separated them once I noticed his determined interest in her and her non interest in him). Could he have hurt her back during mating? What are some diseases that bring on paralysis? All previous and future help is sure appreciated. And no abnormal head nor tail movements noticed. Thanks!!! Her stool is firm and fine also.

8. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Marek's disease is the first thing that comes to mind, legs are usually the first to be paralyzed. For your sake I hope it is NOT Marek's.

The symptoms may include:
    - paralysis of leg or legs, may have one point forward one backward OR not.
    - Cloudy eye, gray eye, or pupil not perfectly round, OR not.
    -They may have small tumors all over the outer skin.
    Wasting: Appearing to eat but not able to aim and pick up food, or not absorbing the nutrients and calories. Not looking sick until the end
    - Paralysis of ANY nerves in the body including nerves to the lungs (causing gasping), crop ,or digestive system not moving food along, (looks like impacted crop. OR not).
    - Paralysis of the legs is the easiest to recognize.
    - Small tumor lumps all over the body, or not.
    - Loss of control of their neck, and can't aim at food and pick it up.
    - Wing paralysis, or walking with their wings, or not.
    - They can look like there is nothing wrong with them with or without symptoms.
    - They may have some symptoms, or, symptoms that seem to come and go. . It may be months before death.
    - A necropsy can show tumors on organs. Some appear to just drop dead. It may be because they are wasting (starving) and the weight loss is covered by feathers, so it's not
    seen until the last few days before they die.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-virus-the-most-frequently-asked-questions
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease

if so, you will need to vaccinate future chicks against marek's disease:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/5-3/how_to_vaccinate_poultry_chicks_for_mareks_disease/
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Mareks-Vaccine-1000-Doses/New-Products

adult birds CAN be vaccinated but it is not quite as effective in building an immune response:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/263563/should-chickens-be-vaccinated/10#post_4222402

sorry, I really hope it is not MD.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Before you start to panic that it may be something like Marek's,take a deep breath and stay calm!

Several things could cause this issue,some are a peck to the head can cause a temporary loss/confusion of motor skills,i have seen/read of broody hens walking backwards and an injury can have this result. Her eating/drinking and pooping normal is good. Keep her inside and monitor her condition. Give her some vitamins just in case it is a vitamin deficiency.

I would say she is not egg bound b/c with egg binding they usually pass wet droppings or none at all as a stuck egg interferes with their ability to poop. If you are concerned about her being egg bound,then put on gloves with lubricant and see if you can feel an egg,but my guess is no.

10. mightymax

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Unfortunately, I have to say that MD was in the back of my mind when Snowy first appeared with this symptom. Although I'm fairly new to the raising of chickens, I read up voraciously on the subjects I'm interested in... and these silly chickens really 'touched' me and so I have heard of MD and the vaccinations available. I still kick myself for not vaccinating my small flock at the get-go, but hindsight being what it is, all I can do now is vaccinate and move forward. I guess I thought 'oh not in my little flock, that won't happen. they're clean and comfortable and well fed and loved....but....things happen and...so do regrets. I'm still hoping and holding out for the best, but trying to accept the possibility of the worst. I am doing the vitamins and electrolytes, along with the creature comforts of keeping her warm and cozy in a small animal crate in my living room with easy access to food, etc. It wouldn't be right to ostracize her to a dark and damp backyard shed or garage....I mean, she KNOWS HER NAME for Heaven's Sake....LOL. Thank you all. I love this site. I'll keep you advised as to Snowy's condition. All inquiries and advise still thoughtfully accepted.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by