1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my SL Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjrj254, Mar 14, 2015.

1. jjrj254

jjrj254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    I recently purchased a pair of Silver laced wyandottes, I've barely had them for a day and noticed that they seem too light when I pick them up, their stomach feels empty but they have eaten quite a lot, is there something wrong with them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are they teenagers?

Or are they grown hens?

3. jjrj254

Mar 29, 2013
    It's a pullet and a cockerel, I was told the pullet is around 14-16 weeks of age and the cockerel might be a week older he seems a little big

4. jjrj254

Mar 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of them

5. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    They look healthy...not puffed up or anything. How are they acting? eating well etc? feel their breastbone, that's always a good indicator. :)

6. jjrj254

Mar 29, 2013
    They are new so it's a little hard to tell since they're a little shy but they seem curious and act normal, I can feel their breastbone and that's all I feel, nothing but feather and breastbone

7. ChickensAreSweet

When they are "teenagers" they do feel skinny and it seems as though they don't have much meat around the keel.

With that said, however, it is important to make sure they are not suffering from diarrhea (except for the normal caecal poos which happen say every 8-10 poos), lethargy, appearance of being cold, etc., which may indicate illness. If they are displaying signs of illness then their skinniness may be worrisome. Worms, coccidiosis, bacterial infections, mites/lice, etc. can take a flock down quickly.

If they are acting normal and poos are normal then at that age I would expect them to feel skinny. Keep feeding good food and see how they feel around the keel in a bit is what I would do if they appear healthy.

They are very cute!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  8. jjrj254

Mar 29, 2013
    Thank you for your response, they are acting normal and pooping normally. I was just a little worried since over all my years of raising chickens I've never had that problem but this is the first time I raise SL wyandottes.

9. ChickensAreSweet

OK if you are an experienced chicken raiser then there may be a problem. But unfortunately...I don't know what to tell you. Worms can make chickens thin...but I always note that my teenage chickens are very very thin...they fill out in height and size, then start filling in with weight second.

Maybe they had a bout with coccidiosis when they were smaller and may be behind in weight? Just a thought if they are new to you.

I have raised SLWs and they were the same as other breeds at that age basically (I mean the heavy brown egglayer types).

1 person likes this.
  10. jjrj254

Mar 29, 2013
    Ok well I will keep a close eye on them, thanks for your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by