What's Wrong With My Two Hens? PICS ADDED

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
I have an 18 month old RIR and BA. Both had been favorites of my rooster which I've rehomed back in the beginning of the Spring. Both have bald spots on their saddles and heads. I've tried applying pine tar and blue cote to the bald spots, but the bald spots remain. I'll see new feathers just coming in and then the next day they're gone. I don't see the others hens pulling them out. If anything they are pulling them out themselves while preening. The feathers look more like they are broken off at the base. It's started to get worse now with the heat and humidity and they look kinda itchy. The skin sometimes looks red and other times not at all. I've looked them over repeatedly and see absolutely no signs of mites or eggs or any live creature of any type on them. Just little broken feathers. Could this be a skin condition that has developed because they had the existing bald spots? Any advice would be great!

Last edited:
Broken feathers will not grow back until they molt. If you want them to grow back before a molt, you need to pluck those out. This does not explain the disappearing new feathers, but maybe it is part of your problem.

Good luck!

I would stop the pine tar.....this is most likely causing your skin irritation.
Could they could possibly be pulling the new feathers as they come in trying to relieve the itch/burn???

Quote:
I've only applied the pine tar a couple of times. It stops them from messing with the feathers for a few days, but as soon as it wears off they're feathers are disappearing again. Could they have some kind of fungus?

Here are pics of the two hens. Remember they both had the bald spots from the rooster we had that was rehomed in the spring, but the feathers are not growing in for some reason. I see them start to grow in and then they disappear again. I checked them again and still see absolutely no sign of bugs or eggs. The skin looks dry, flaky and red and the feathers are broken off. It looks like something is eating the feathers or a fungus is eating away at them? The other chickens look totally normal.

32358_101_5050.jpg

32358_101_5053.jpg

mrbstephens you may have another hen pulling out the feathers. I have a dominant hen that can get abusive to some hens. It happens when they are in the coop. Sometimes the girl getting her feathers plucked just sits and takes it. Go figure. I would try putting Blue Kote on them.

Quote:
I haven't seen them getting their feathers plucked, but I guess it could be happening while I'm still in bed and they're still in the hen house. I'll try the blue kote again. Thanks.

Maybe you could try seperating one chicken & see if her feathers grow back in? And if they do that means the other chickens are doing it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom