what's wrong with my Wellie chick????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks4fun, Dec 13, 2012.

1. chicks4fun

chicks4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    [​IMG]
    Both these Welsummer's were hatched the same day. The one on the left is developing normally, just like all my other chicks. The one on the right at first seemed to have a broken leg & couldn't walk. I put her in a cage and kept her quiet.
    She can now walk but as you see she isn't developing like a regular chick. They are almost 2 months old, hatched on October 16, 2012.
    She hasn't feathered out, what feathers she has are always puffed out and she is still slow & not real steady on her feet.
    Is there anything I can do?
    Anyone know what this is?
    She eats and drinks. She seems like she has improved but I am still very worried.
    Anyone know anything about these symptoms?
    Thanks

2. chicks4fun

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    I read about Maerk's but she was raised with 10 other chicks and they are all fine. Isn't Maerk's contagious? Also would she be improving? She lost complete use of one leg about 2-3 weeks ago but now is using it.
    Right now she is in the cage with the one other bird for company (she was very upset when alone). She is in the coop but not in direct contact with the other birds. Should I remove her?
    I have no idea what this can be. . . . . . . HELP!

3. kukree

kukree Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    i had a similar poblem with one of my cochin bantam cockerel chicks. he stayed alive for 2 months after he was ill. i would say keep her inside. i dont think this sort of problem is contaigious, but its better to be safe than sorry. they do get really upset when they are alone. perhaps you could keep her in a cage close to your other ones. Take her to a vet, maybe they wold be able to give you some medication or advice. they might splint her leg up.

4. chicks4fun

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    thanks for the reply
    I lost this chick at about 2 months of age, she was a fighter but she just couldn't make it.
    I really hate to loose a chick but these things happen. None of the others have any symptoms.
    again, thanks

5. kukree

Nov 1, 2012
    that's really sad to hear. hope ur ok. did u find out what was wrong with her?

6. chicks4fun

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    I am okay, but I always feel bad when I loose any chick or chicken. I never found out what she had. I should have had a necropsy but I lost her over a weekend and they are only open M-F. I never had a chick look like that one and none of the other chicks seemed to "get" it so I think it was something wrong with her, nothing contagious. The others are all in with the flock now and running around with the big girls. I am just happy it wasn't something they all got as that would be devastating.
    thanks for asking. . . .

7. kukree

Nov 1, 2012
    I understand how u feel because something similar has happened to me. it's gd to know that te rest are happy and healthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by