What's Wrong with my Wyandotte Chick?

Danihg Zuhn Bagoon

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2018
Hillman, Michigan
So it turns out that the tractor supply co. had a sale on chicks and happened to have wyandotte chicks. My stepmother bought 5 of them because they were at least a dollar. So today the first chicks that arrived were these ones before the light brahma chicks came. Someone is going to have to drive or something to pick the brahmas up.

The wyandotte chicks as I was observing noticed that one of the 5 chicks was not acting normally. She just sits there doing nothing, nodding her head and shaking She will not open her eyes as well as the fact that she didn't go to drink or eat. So her beak was dipped in electrolytes. I know that there is definitely something wrong with this chick, I just don't know what to do.

So it turns out that the tractor supply co. had a sale on chicks and happened to have wyandotte chicks. My stepmother bought 5 of them because they were at least a dollar. So today the first chicks that arrived were these ones before the light brahma chicks came. Someone is going to have to drive or something to pick the brahmas up.

The wyandotte chicks as I was observing noticed that one of the 5 chicks was not acting normally. She just sits there doing nothing, nodding her head and shaking She will not open her eyes as well as the fact that she didn't go to drink or eat. So her beak was dipped in electrolytes. I know that there is definitely something wrong with this chick, I just don't know what to do.
Do you know how old they are?
Are you providing a heat source for your chicks?

It sounds like your chick is sick, if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give her 1-2drops each day. Also how does the crop on this chick feel - does she have any food in it?

Keep her warm and do what you can to get her hydrated.

Do you know how old they are?
Are you providing a heat source for your chicks?

It sounds like your chick is sick, if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give her 1-2drops each day. Also how does the crop on this chick feel - does she have any food in it?

Keep her warm and do what you can to get her hydrated.

I have everything set up, the lighting(heat lamp), bedding, food and water and the chicks just hatched today. The other chicks are running around drinking and eating. I would never get any such animals unprepared.

The chick was and had been already behaving slow before she was taken out of her container I received them in.

Though I must admit that my smallest sibling grabbed one of the chicks squeezed it tightly and it cried out more. My sister put it down and I forgot which one she did grab so... I do not know if she injured the one that's acting not normally. But then again it could be just sick.

After my stepmother held the chick in her hand close to her body after several minutes she put the chick back and it opened its eyes and walked a little bit then stood. She stands up all wobbly but acts more lively now. The other chicks just push her around whenever she sits but stands up whenever this happens.

I have everything set up, the lighting(heat lamp), bedding, food and water and the chicks just hatched today. The other chicks are running around drinking and eating. I would never get any such animals unprepared.

The chick was and had been already behaving slow before she was taken out of her container I received them in.

Though I must admit that my smallest sibling grabbed one of the chicks squeezed it tightly and it cried out more. My sister put it down and I forgot which one she did grab so... I do not know if she injured the one that's acting not normally. But then again it could be just sick.

After my stepmother held the chick in her hand close to her body after several minutes she put the chick back and it opened its eyes and walked a little bit then stood. She stands up all wobbly but acts more lively now. The other chicks just push her around whenever she sits but stands up whenever this happens.

She may have been squeezed a bit too hard and doesn't feel very well, but I would try to encourage her to drink. Chicks can become dehydrated quickly. If she is still not able to stand/walk in a few hours, you may need to separate her for a while so she doesn't get trampled.

I'd separate, and give her a warm cozy place where she can hear and see her siblings, but you can keep track of her consumption better. Is her bum clean? Crop full?
I little electrolytes mixed with yogurt and chick feed, fed with a syringe wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if she has low blood sugar or the like.
Ages ago, when I cared for orphan chicks, I always made a cave for them in a box of hay with a ticking clock tucked behind it, and a heating pad sort of draped over the hay. It seemed to comfort even the most lonely chick. AND ALSO A FIRE HAZARD but these were simpler times.

She's acting almost fine now. Eating and drinking with the others. It was after she let down by my stepmother. It took several more minutes after that other post then acted more okay. I just only use pine needles not hay nor shavings. I do not have any heating pads just a heat lamp. All the chicks still got their eggtooth.

Crop is definitely not full nor does she have a dirty bum. She just got really active all the sudden like nothing happened so I think I'm good here now.

Thank you all. I was just really concerned.

Back
Top Bottom