What's wrong with these hens (photos)?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peaceful, Mar 29, 2009.

1. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    What is wrong with these hens (mites? feather picking? other?)? The first one has dry scaly skin. What can I do to help them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im so new at this but if I had to guess I would say barbering...but I know chickens aren't capable of that so I would like to know too-just in case it happens to me

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm going to say mites or lice of some sort. Since the area is not red, I don't think it is feather picking.

Or.... it could be a form of molting?

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Can you see any mites? Can you see blood or "bite" marks? Are they old enough to be molting, perhaps?

5. peaceful

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I don't know anything about mites and I don't know where to look for information. Any recommendations for info on mites?
    When I inspect the hens and the coop I don't see anything, although again I'm not exactly sure where to look. I looked on them and under the roosts and don't see anything.
    All the chickens are all the same age, born last May I think.
    I don't know that much about molting, but it doesn't look like molting from the pictures I've seen.
    I don't see any blood or bite marks. The skin on the one with the naked neck seems quite dry and scaly.
    I have roosters, and some of my hens at first first looked a little bald, then I noticed feather loss on their lower back on some, which both seemed rooster related. Yet now this feather loss on the underside of the neck.
    Appreciating any response and hoping someone can recognize what's going on...

6. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  7. peaceful

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    No, These chickens looked great before. The one in the first photo is an Ameraucana (probably EE) and was particularly beautiful, and the second is a light brown Old Dutch.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're molting, looks like to me. I have several with naked necks from that now.

9. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Quote:different position?? [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:different position?? [​IMG]

Don't think so.