What's wrong with this baby chick? Video included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabet253, Mar 7, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014

He's a week old, he got worse over night. Last night he was breathing heavy, and looked like he was sneezing. Now he's doing this with his mouth. I tried to isolate him, but he didn't want to, he jumped out of the box that was in the brooder and back out with the other chicks. Out of 38 chicks, he's the only sick one. I do put ACV and Garlic into their water though. I don't get why after a week he's having issues rather than having issues the day after being brought home.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He appears to be gasping for breath which may mean that he won't make it. With that many shipped chicks, it is common to lose one. Shipping stress during extreme cold or hot weather can be very rough on baby chicks, and the longer it takes, the worse it is. I would make sure that all of the others are drinking well and eating. Dip their beaks into vitamin/electrolyte water as often as possible if they show signs of weakness. SaveAChick is a good brand to use. Make sure that your brooder temperature is 85-90 degrees F on your floor thermometer under the heat lamp.

3. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I bought him from the feed store a week ago.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feed stores also receive their chicks by shipping in the US Postal Service just like the rest of us. I have seen ones at my local feed store who who stuck in a backroom at the local post office freezing, instead of being delivered in a timely manner. We never know what conditions they experience unfortunately. Whenever I order chicks, I try to get them from the nearest hatchery, and when they arrive I feed them GroGel on the first day, and put electrolytes or sugar in the water for the first 2 days. Even with that it is common to lose some from being chilled or overheated, or being in transit too long.

5. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    Thank you. I just find it odd that after a week he's now getting ill. he was fine all this time. Never once got a poopy butt.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    While what Eggcessive says is true, and that feed store chicks arrive at the feed store via the same USPS truck as your chicks do, the feed store chicks enjoy the distinct advantage of having perhaps 100s more warm and fuzzy brothers and sisters to snuggle with to keep warm with while in transit. This is the reason that most hatcheries have larger minimum orders during the Winter and early Spring months than during warmer times of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by