Whats wrong with this chicken?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystal94040, Jan 1, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    A friend of mine posted these pictures on another board hoping that someone would be able to tell her whats going on with her chicken....but no one is answering.
    So I'm reposting on her behalf here in the hopes that someone has seen this before and can shed some light on the situation.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    If it is a solid mass, I would guess a tumor or something of the sort.

If it is soft, maybe it is something to do with the crop.

Just a guess, taking her to a vet may be the best thing. Either way, good luck.

3. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    here's some more info she posted

" No, that is what I thought, food lodged or something, but then we started pulling it out and it seemed more that it was the beak that was swollen and coming off (the inside gunky stuff). Its as if there is horn bulging. She is really gasping for air too so I am thinking it goes down deeper. We had her inside for a while but she really stinks so maybe she is rotting from the inside?

Gah, I feel so bad something has gotten this far already. She was molting so I thought that was why she was looking so poorly, but then her feathers came back in and she was still looking miserable and thinner and all the red on top of her head was gone. Poor thing "

4. maria22000

maria22000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Ah, here I am!
    Thanks, Crystal!!
    I had to find what the crop was, but yes that could be it. Would a regular vet know what to do with it? If it is the crop, what can be done? I mean, we don't have $$$ and I am fine turning her neck if need be to stop the pain/discomfort she obviously is in (sorry, don't mean to offend!) but that may not be necessary if it is treatable.
    Thanks again!
    maria.

5. crystal94040

Aug 15, 2007
    there is a post locked at the top of this section that has info on how to do your own surgery.....I recently had to do some surgeries on one of mine and chickens actually stay REALLY still when your working on them....might be worth a try if you think her crop in impacted.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm not an expert, but I agree with Matt - it looks from the pictures that the primary problem is NOT the crop. Canker sounds like a good bet also.

Crop problems wouldn't make the beak look like that, typically.

Good luck with her.

8. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    With this kind of thing...I am always telling you to contact Dr. Peter Brown on FeatherFanciers.com for answers. He is an online chicken Dr. and has helped so many of us with sick birds.

9. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    She has canker(Trichomoniasis)..She needs metronidazole, This can be bought as FISHZOLE..She needs 250mg per day for 5 days..This is contagious and birds remain carriers..Copper sulfate at 1/8th teaspoon per gallon of water 3 days in a row once a month will control this..
    Canker affects the crop also. and other organs as well

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  10. maria22000

maria22000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Oh, wow, thank you guys!!! I am hopeful again. I hope she survives the night (I have no clue how her eating/drinking/breathing has been hampered and for how long :-( She is in a warm ventilated place of the ground and out of draft so hopefully a bit more comfortable. I will get on this tomorrow, though contacting this chicken doc tonight!
    Thank you!!
    maria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by