What's wrong with this chicks bottom?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dixie&trixie, Mar 24, 2013.

1. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Im posting this for a friend of mine. She has a little frizzle chick with a swollen bottom. Some have said it was ascites others said it was an ingrown feather issue. Has any one here had a chick with this? If so, how did you treat?
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Usually, feather loss on their bottom is from others pulling their feathers out and (usually) eating them. If there's a lump that feels a bit like an egg there, she may be eggbound. If her belly feels full of fluid, internal laying is a possibility, or a cancer, or heart disease. Ascites is fluid in the abdomen, outside of the intestines, often caused by internal laying or cancer.

I'm no expert, and there could certainly be other causes.

3. smccuen

smccuen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Western NC
    Is it swollen or just bare?

4. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    This a chick not an egg laying hen so any egg laying issues aren't a possibility. The picture is of its back end below the cloaca.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you are sprinkling diatomaceous earth abundantly in the nests or on the birds, then you might consider another alternative. I've seen this same condition due to DE use.

6. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    What? No DE is being used. This chick belongs to a friend of mine, just trying to help her out.

7. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    I just got some chicks yesterday and one of them has a bottom that looks like this- like it has lost its feathers. When I first brought it home it had poop stuck to the butt, I wiped it off with a wet paper towel. It is eating and playing like the others, doesn't seem to be bothered by the other ones trying to pick its other feathers off or anything so I'm just going to watch it unless there is anyone who has suggestions.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Since that isn't the case, it could be irritation caused by Favus or something similar. I've taken care of symptoms like this with Lotrimin Clotrimazole Cream. Clotrimazole is an antibiotic that is affective against Aspergillus, yeasts like Candida, and other fungi. It kills the fungi while soothing the tissue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by