What's wrong with this chicks feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chase4585, Mar 10, 2014.

1. chase4585

chase4585 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. Themehmeh

Themehmeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    It's nothing serious. Sometimes they just get stuck like that a little bit while they're moving around and it goes back to normal because it's not actually damage. Other times it's a deformity but not one that will cause major issues.

3. chase4585

Mar 10, 2014
    Well when I pick the chick up they stay that way and my fiancé lets the chick sit on her leg and they never seem to go back straight I was just curious if it would be a problem

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is crooked toes which happens at hatch, usually from genetics, but some claim it happens from irregular incubation temperatures. It won't affect the chicken that much. When they are first hatched you can sometimes tape the toes or make it little shoes to straighten toes, but once they are a couple of weeks old, it is too late. I have one from the hatchery that is much worse than that, and she can get up on 2x4 roosts okay.

5. chase4585

Mar 10, 2014
    Ok thanx for the info. Now to find out breed of these chicks my fiancé had the bright idea of goin to TSC and buyin just a bunch of chicks and not payin attention to what they were lol

6. Themehmeh

Themehmeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    Call the store and ask what chicks they had that day!
    My TSC doesn't have chicks at all because they're right next to a feed store that sells a lot of great breeds already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by