What's wrong with this duck wing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrzyChicLady, Jun 30, 2011.

1. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    When I brought her home she was already like this. Is this an injury? Will it get better?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It may have "angel wing" and it looks like someone clipped the feathers that stick out. When they grow back, if the wing sticks out to the side, it is called angel wing. The duck will be fine, cannot fly with this tho'. There is nothing you can do about angel wing in an adult bird. It can be caused by improper diet while growing up, correcting the diet and taping it when it first starts to develop is how you can sometimes correct this. It is not going to hurt the bird, just unsightly to some.

3. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Awwww....poor thing. [​IMG]

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Based on the other feathers it looks like they have either broke off by herself or something else picking/getting at her or she's molting. See the feather quality of the surrounding tertial feathers and the upper tail coverts, how they are split and hair like? She is molting and so is the drake behind her so i would assume the flight feathers would be a result unless something got after her wing. My drakes all seem to look like that right now as they are going into eclipse.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by