Whats wrong with this gosling?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LisabethBrooke, Apr 29, 2017.

1. LisabethBrooke

LisabethBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Last Wednesday I bought 4 geese from Runnings. 2 African and 2 Chinese. Three of them are doing fine. But the fourth is smaller and weaker than the rest. I haven't ever seen him eat on his own, and only have seen him sleepily dip his beak into the water - and I assumed he was drinking. I mixed up some of the chick starter with water and some powdered Gatorade with a tiny bit of sugar. I've been feeding him this with a dropper every time the other ones get up to eat or drink. I can get a few droppers - about 2.5 ml - into him before his head slumps down and he acts like he is too sleepy to eat. He may have angle wings because he doesn't hold them tight against his sides like the others do. He also walks weak and stumbles around. He rests on his haunches? - the top back part of his legs so it looks like he is sitting on his butt.

You can see how he holds his wings oddly here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Him Sitting on the back of his legs. This is the best I could get in a picture. But it usually looks like a cartoon.
    [​IMG]

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Sorry to hear he is having trouble.
    I know there is a few poultry supplements some people use on sick chicks . But i have never used any so cant really recommend them.
    But your feed store should sell them. I beleive one is called poultry nutri drench-
    Is your chick feed medicated? Or is it an all flock / flock raiser crumble?
    And are you adding niacin to their food?
    Sometimes there is just a baby that has "failure to thrive" as well.
    I wouldnt give up yet by any means. But since he has been like this since you brought him home its a possibility he has something wrong, and may not improve.

Whats the temperature in the brooder?

I feed nutrena all flock. And add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast per cup of feed and i put a little organic braggs applecider vinegar in their water every other day

3. LisabethBrooke

May 16, 2014
    The chick feed is unmedicated. It is Nutrena NatureWise chick starter 18% non medicated poultry feed. Its not suppose to need supplemented. I don't supplement. But I've been looking it up and for the angle wings other posts have said they need niacin and a source for that is peas. So today He will get a few warmed up peas. The temperature of the brooder is about 90. They're in a tote in my bedroom, with a heating pad hut in there. If its too cold they crawl under the heating pad - which is where he spends a lot of his time. But the others being bigger have a harder time crawling under there so he is safe from them walking on him. The others prefer to sit on top of the heating pad hut.

Last night right before I went to bed, I pulled the towel back and peaked in at them, and he was actually standing up on his own acting like he felt just fine and drinking like a normal goose. But then this morning he was back to laying on the side of the heating pad curled up head lulled over. He is still alive but back to acting like he doesn't feel well.

4. LisabethBrooke

May 16, 2014
    I wonder if a warm bath would help him like it does a sick baby?

5. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Peas do not contain enough niacin to rely on them for that.
    Ducklings and goslings NEED extra niacin. They will have leg and wing growth trouble without it.
    Angel wing doesnt show up till their feathers start coming in.
    What your seeing with the low hanging wings is just because he is weak i beleive.
    The only feed that doesnt need supplemented is waterfowl feed. Specific duck and goose food.
    Chick starter and flock raiser doesnt contain enough.
    Geese also really really love grass. If you could pick him some grass see if that will stimulate his eating.
    Mine will eat grass all day over their crumble. Its their natural diet.
    A warm bath may stimulate a little activity. Just make sure he isnt in too long. And dont leave unsupervised. He will need to warm up and dry off under a heatlamp. A heating pad wont help him dry off quickly.
    90 is too warm. Ducklings and goslings usually start around 85 degrees the first week.
    And lower from their. Mine liked it around 80 -85 the first few days.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. LisabethBrooke

May 16, 2014
    He died this morning. [​IMG]

7. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Sorry to hear [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by