What's wrong with this hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vigilanteherbalist, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Vigilanteherbalist

Vigilanteherbalist Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    For about a week, one of my neighbor's hens has been out of commission. Not walking around much, and when she does walk, its not far and stumbling. She still eats and drinks, but not as much as normal. Altogether the hen is bright, alert and responsive. No masses or wounds. Any ideas?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    worms, mites or lice. Check over for mites/lice especially around the vent area. If that's it, treat her and all the others as well as the living areas and dust baths with Sevin dust. If that's not it, then I'm guessing worms. Use Valbazen immediately and then again in 10 days on the entire flock. Don't delay!! Any of these could kill her/them quickly and she's already showing bad signs! She'll need a good protein boost like soft scrambled eggs or wet cat food plus an electrolyte solution in place of water for a bit.

3. Vigilanteherbalist

Jan 5, 2012
    Thanks, I'll pass along the advice. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

4. Vigilanteherbalist

Jan 5, 2012
    Update: Bella is doing better according to her owner. Though, another (I think ) pullet dropped dead without symptom a few days later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by