What's wrong??

katiec11

Chirping
Apr 11, 2015
Perth, Australia
My 13 week old pekin bantam is very wobbly on her feet, almost like trembles/shake she does it quite a lot and trips over her feet any ideas of what It could be? She is one of my favourites so really want her to get better
Here is the link to a video so you can see what it looks like.
Thanks!!!

Unfortunately I have no sage advice regarding what's wrong with your pekin bantam girl. Your video of her behavior is a great idea to provide this community full of chicken experts a visual image of what you're talking about. I believe I saw her drinking and scratching the ground, so that is a good thing.

I found this thread of another BYC community member who experienced similar problems to your baby, although with a younger chick. From what I can gather, with the chicks in this thread it turned out to be a result of vitamin deficiency. How long has your girl been exhibiting symptoms? If you haven't already, you may try some of the vitamin resolutions discussed in the mentioned thread. Then at least if it doesn't work, you can rule the vitamin deficiency out.

I would try Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster. Follow the package directions. Do your chicks get table scraps? Chickens are omnivorous so a varied diet is great for them. Keep me updated! Good luck!

If you can find some poultry vitamins that contain riboflavin, or just get some BComplex vitamins in her water or food right away. She seems to be walking on her hocks or elbows--is that what you are seeing? The trembling could be an electrolyte, vitamin, or neurological symptom, I'm not really sure. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Her energy seems good, so I hope it is just something temporary.

We have grower and layer pallets available as we have 2 age groups. Also feed them sunflower seeds, crushed corn and meal worms along with fresh seasonal fruit and veg. They also get toast with Vegemite and yoghurt...
I don't think she would have been vaccinated, we never got told and she was only a few days old.
She is shorter so could be walking on her hocks/elbows... She doesn't seam lethargic or have any other visible signs of illness...
Will get on to some vitamins for her
Thanks heaps! Fingers crossed

Go easy on the vegemite, too much salt can be bad for chickens.
Hope she it is a vitamin deficiency and is fixable!

If I didn't know you were from Australia, the vegemite certainly would have given it away!
wink.png

@Eggcessive is absolutely right, that chick would benefit from a B Complex vitamin. Rooster Booster makes a liquid B12 supplement and the Nutri Drench contains vitamins A, E, & D plus loads of other minerals. It also contains molasses and sugar, which can help in absorption of the vitamins. I am not sure exactly how it works in chickens, but at least in humans if there is not enough fat present vitamin and mineral absorption doesn't work as well. I would recommend getting as many vitamins in this chick as possible as quickly as possible. I hope it helps! Hopefully you have access to these products, or similar ones, down under.

Hope she's doing better today!

We went to a poultry supplier and have 3 different vitamin boosters... They've said with in 2 weeks we should see an improvement... Fingers crossed!! Will keep you updated on how little Sophie is doing :)
Thanks again for all your help

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) is the important one to use when a chick is walking on their hocks or elbows, or has curled under toes. Unfortunately Poultry Nutri-Drench does not contain riboflavin (B2.)

Back
Top Bottom