What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaChick74, Jun 25, 2019.

1. MamaChick74

MamaChick74 Songster

May 27, 2017
    New Hampshire USA
    A couple of weeks ago my girl Daisy who is a barred rock was acting strange/lethargic and I noticed the tips of her comb were turning purplish. I separated her and gave her some water with acv and some garlic. She ate and had some meal worms as a treat and the next day her comb and demeanor were back to normal. She was great for a couple weeks and now her comb tips are purple again, she hasn't laid an egg in a couple days ( I felt her and I couldn't feel any egg so I am not sure if she is egg bound) The other morning when I went out her crop was all squishy and made noises when I massaged her, she has now stopped eating and drinking and just lays there. Her poops are more yellow and runny...kind of just running down her back end. I have her separated with access to water and acv. I am really confused as what could be wrong. Any suggestions?

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You've made a good start by checking poop and crop and noting behavior. Taken together, these things point to your hen having issues that need to be addressed.

The comb color change can be significant if it remains purple, but comb color can change according to emotional stress and environmental changes. Keep watch on it. As an example, I have a BO hen that hates to have her soiled butt washed. She's like a toddler holding their breath until they go blue, and in her case, her comb goes totally dark purple until I release her. I'm convinced she does it to scare me.

The crop may be becoming colonized with yeast due to the hen not eating normally and the contents remaining in the crop and not being pushed through with regular food intake. Check it first thing come morning before you let the hen eat or drink. A full crop in the morning that's squishy needs treatment.

It's not always possible to detect a stuck egg by feel. You need to go by behavior. A stuck egg is uncomfortable, if not painful. A hen will attempt to push the egg out by pumping her rear, and the rest of the time she will just stand around with her tail low and flat. Yellow discharge is often associated with reproductive problems. As far as that goes, a crop issue can also be related to other issues.

So, two things. Check her crop first thing in the morning and give Daisy a calcium supplement in case she's got a stubborn egg she's trying to pass. People calcium such as Caltrate with D3 and minerals is what I use. One tablet per day until normal egg laying resumes.

Chickassan, MamaChick74 and ValerieJ like this.
  3. MamaChick74

MamaChick74 Songster

May 27, 2017
    New Hampshire USA
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Her crop was squishy first thing in the morning so I massaged her and added acv to their water. That seemed to happen over night because she was fine the day before when I checked her crop. Her comb is flopped over and more purple now and she won't eat or drink. Her breathing is off too. She is a little over 5 years old so maybe something reproductive is going on with her. I am afraid she is not going to make it :(

4. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The floppy comb can indicate an interruption of hormones and that can be associated with an infection or even cancer in the reproductive system. If it has spread to other organs, it can affect oxygen levels in the blood, resulting in the purple comb.

If it were just the crop issue alone or the single issue of a stuck egg, you likely wouldn't be seeing so many other serious symptoms. It would be well to accept that she may have cancer and you might start thinking about ending her suffering.

If you have any reason to believe she has an infection and might benefit from a round of an antibiotic, by all means give it a try on the chance it might work. It's the approach I often take just to assure myself I haven't jumped the gun.

Check her crop again in the morning and if it's full, you could try seven days of miconazone to see if that will make her feel better.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    MamaChick74 likes this.
  5. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crowing

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Check her crop first thing in the morning and give Daisy a calcium supplement in case she's got a stubborn egg she's trying to pass. People calcium such as Caltrate with D3 and minerals is what I use. One tablet per day until normal egg laying resumes.[/QUOTE]
    I haven't faced this issue yet, but I have read this recommendation a few times for hens having trouble passing an egg. I'm curious as to how you get the calcium into the bird. Will they just eat it? Do you put it in their water? Will it hurt the other birds if they also drink that water?

MamaChick74 likes this.
  6. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Putting the calcium into water won't deliver a sufficient dose. I simply pull down on the wattles which forces the beak to open, then I pop the pill onto the back of the tongue then release the wattles, causing the hen to swallow.

ValerieJ likes this.
  7. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi There.
    Sorry to hear Daisy is not herself. You have had good advice so far, i
    might be wrong, but have you tried giving her a warm epsom salt bath. ????
    As it could be a stubborn egg, as suggested. Thinking it may help her relax,
    Make sure you dry her, keep her warm, then have you any Nutidrench as that will help her as well. Then in the morning, try her with some plain yogurt and a little chopped up
    fresh herbs.(Parsley is good.) You said her breathing is off too. Although this sounds
    crazy, know Vicks vapour rub, dab a bit on her nostrils, and a few dabs on her front.
    I have used this method a few times, anything is worth a try. Bless her. Fingers crossed
    that she will pull through.Keep us all :loveupdated.

MamaChick74 and azygous like this.
  8. MamaChick74

MamaChick74 Songster

May 27, 2017
    New Hampshire USA
    I just went out to check on Daisy and sadly she didn't make it. This all happened so quick that I have to believe that whatever I did was the best I could do for her and there was something more serious going on with her. She was happy and free ranging with her sisters 2 days ago :-( Thank you all for the advice and well wishes!

Chickassan, ValerieJ and azygous like this.
  9. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you are brave and are curious as to what might have killed her, you can cut her open and look inside. Take some pics and we can help you understand what you might be seeing.

The first time is hard with a pet, but it helps in the future to match up symptoms with what could be happening inside a sick chicken. What you learn can help your other chickens at some point.

10. cheekychick3

cheekychick3 Songster

Apr 30, 2019
    WEST WALES UK.
    Hi i am so sorry, Daisy has passed. But remember the good times you had with
    her. You tried your best, at least she is not suffering anymore. It is us, who suffer
    more, after we lose them. My thoughts are with you. :love

MamaChick74 and azygous like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: