What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by baypatrol, Nov 11, 2009.

1. baypatrol

baypatrol New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    One of my golden hatched yesterday has a "club leg" (I'm new at this) what's wrong with it and can it survive? Should I destroy it?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    What is club leg?

3. baypatrol

baypatrol New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    The left leg is twisted towards the back and has no movement, the little thing can't walk, it just jumps to the water or the food dish. It just drags it, it's very sad to see.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    So Long As It Is Able To Eat And Drink And Move About I'd Leave It Alone---- Just Me Tho...

5. baypatrol

baypatrol New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Thanks!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've had a few like that, they don't get better in my experience. So unless you want to have a bird that can't walk in a box indefinitely (because it also won't get 'big enough to eat' since it won't be able to build any muscle), I would destroy it now. (from a person who decided to keep one like that 'until it was big enough to eat', which is still not big enough to eat, and has been living in my bathroom for about 4 months [​IMG])

7. ksukristin

ksukristin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    it is so sad to see this- I actually had one where both legs were like that and it could only scoot around and the other hatchlings kept standing on top of it- very sad. I isolated the little bugger so that he wouldn't get stomped on and he only lived 3 days before he passed [​IMG] heartbreaking, but I would send it to quail heaven.

8. thebirdfarm

thebirdfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    I've had one like this as well and it survived quite well and grew to be one of the largest birds of its hatch. And being as I was only raising them for meat all worked out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by