1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Michigan Transplant

Michigan Transplant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Marionville, MO
    I have had two hens in the past three weeks get weak and just squat on the floor. They let me pick them up and NO they are not egg bound. I thought it was the heat but after bringing them in and cooling them off, within a few minutes them both had the same symptoms. Both started gagging and acting like they couldn't breathe and flopped around the cage till they died. When I picked them up to take them out to dispose them they both leaked liquid out their beaks. Any suggestions? Are they getting into something they shouldn't or is there something else it is that is serious and I should watch them all? I now am down to 22 RIR's. Started with 25 but sent the male to chicken heaven when he started attacking me. PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You need to start them on a worming and delousing program! You may also want to treat them with some water soluable antibiotic from the feed store.

That business with the flopping around in the cage is what they all do when they die. Every once in awhile you get one that goes out with a whisper but not very often.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    BTW, when you notice one on the ground alot check the vent and under the wings for maggots. It's really bad this time of year. That requires a totally different (but emergency) treatment.

4. Michigan Transplant

Michigan Transplant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Marionville, MO
    Thanks for the information. Had one a few weeks ago who I thought was egg bound and brought her in and did the warm bath and she seemed to love it. Then held her is a towel for a few hours, put her in a cage for the night and she was dead in the morning. She was not egg bound. I have gone through that before. I just don't want them to start dropping like flies and not know what is causing it. I will start them all on what you mentioned later today after I go to the feed store. THANK YOU so much! No maggots either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by