What's your best feed recipe for a moulting flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by astatula, Jun 17, 2010.

1. astatula

astatula Songster

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I have one coop of 8 hens that have been in moult for about 2 weeks now. I always put fresh fruit in their runs every morning (1/2 cantalope / watermellon...) because of the heat and they like it. But I have read that fruit is not a good thing during moulting, so I have stopped.

I started giving them half layer and half gamebird (30% protein) feed mix a few days ago because I also read that protein is more important during moulting.

So the ration right now is just fresh water twice daily and 1/2 and 1/2 mix of layer feed and gamebird feed.

What can I do to improve their situation and bring them through this moult healthy and quickly?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The extra protein is good for them.
    What is the protein percentage of the layer?
    You may also want to add a hand full of Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) to there feed once a day. The oil in the BOSS will also help some...

Chris

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sunflower seed also has methionine in it. Feathers contain a lot of methionine. I feed them more sunflower when they're molting, too. It seems to help.

Extra protein is definitely helpful when they're molting, which you are already doing.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes Black Oil Sunflower seed (BOSS) is quite high in methionine but it can be quite low in protein and quite high in indigestible fiber.
    So I wouldn't over do it because it can drop the over all protein of your feed..

Sunflower seed contains--
    14% - 17% of protein,
    32% of oil,
    3 1/2% of mineral salts,
    28 to 30% of crude indigestible fiber.

Chris

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Most people I know give a vitamin suppliment called Poul-Vit in the water when their birds molt.
    Also they put it in the water several time during the winter for added vitamins.

http://domvet.com/poulvite.html

6. astatula

astatula Songster

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    Okay, I will use a handful of sunflower seeds, non-salted black oily seeds, in straight gamebird feed. I'll get the "M'" word supplement and still keep up the protein with the 30% in the gamebird feed.

I will keep this going until I see some sort of egg laying start again, they are not laying anything right now, but the other coop with the Delawares and Dominiques is still laying daily, they are 6 months younger and will not moult until the fall.

Thankyou for the advice, Ron

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    also I have read on here somewhere that a couple hand fulls of dry cat food will help with the protein in take. Has anyone else on here tried this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by