1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats Your Chickens Favourite Meal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Sep 28, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

It would be great to know and share all the little treats and snacks and foods that your chickens love to eat.

Favorite Treat- My hens Love basically EVERYTHING, but one of there favorite treats is yoghurt either flavored or Greek and also This strange baby food called Farex you mix it with milk and they love it.

Tip- I learnt that if there is some food that your chickens don't like (eg: slices of apple or orange) just mush or wiz it up in a blender add maybe some grain or yoghurt and they'll love it.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken! Yes-they are cannibals!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macaroni and cheese
    [​IMG]

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Meat of any kind...they go crazy for it! Yogurt, dandelion leaves, cooked eggs, most greens...but it's the meat that makes 'em do the "Chicken 500".

4. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Let's see...they love oatmeal-apple bread! Blueberries, tomatoes, melon, (canalope&watermelon), strawberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds,peas oatmeal,(raw or cooked), CORN......I give them canned (non-gmo) corn, yogurt, scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs, toast...........not all at once, of course!! LOL,LOL!
    Hmmm...my chickens might be just a little bit spoiled, aye!?

5. Gallina Sarda

Gallina Sarda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Winterport, Maine
    Just started my chicken-owning adventure this summer. I learned that my girls go crazy for Japanese beetles; luckily I had plenty in my raspberry patch! Earthworms are a close second. Yum :b

1 person likes this.
  6. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Porridge! Pasta! Bacon, baked beans, courgette, marrow etc,,
    It is soo much fun feeding them nice things and watching them go wild!

[​IMG]

7. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Mine love craisins of frenzy, meal worms, yogurt, pasta, leftover meats, melons, cukes, most fruits (ok all), leftover sandwich pieces. I've recently started throwing them rodents that my cats catch and they seem to like shrews the best. I'm guessing its because they are smaller and easier to rip apart. THere is nothing grosser than watching your chicken run around with a string of intestine hanging out of her mouth. [​IMG]

8. vwright0401

vwright0401 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    I read somewhere that hanging a head of cabbage from the ceiling is a good snack and its kind of a game for them, keeps them from getting bored in the winter months. I gave them one head of cabbage and they loved it. I feed them all the leftovers out of the garden and almost anything from kitchen scraps.

9. spud1035

spud1035 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    nw ohio
    Anything that is moving and small, mealworms, but small live minnows are like crack for my birds.

10. GulfStar

GulfStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Mealworms or small minnows like spud said. Pretty well anything alive and small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by