What's your farm work for the day?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 26, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The farm up north flooded and is impassable meaning we can't drop off the 12 chickens and 3 ducks we had set aside for Mother. We kinda overdid it for our land so this means we have to build a new pen today to keep the geese/ducks in until the floods go down.

So today is pen-building day. Which is like every two months now, ha. And you? What's on the list today?

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Well, I was going to swap some chickens around.. But seeing as how they wont even come out of their coops because they are scared of the snow. It will have to wait!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

All chickens and dogs have been fed and watered, sheep feed themselves and have been watered. No other chores but enjoying the wood fire....the wood having already been stacked on the porch.

A day of rest! [​IMG]

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Other than fretting over the stupid hens that won't set foot out into the snow all day to even get food and water, I'm just playing with a new garden planning software (free beta version) from mother earth news website. Because Atlanta got snow! OMG, thank goodness we have all those christmas cookies for when we run out of bread and milk.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

There seems to be a lot of folks with that problem. Are there no room in your coops for feeding and watering inside? I never considered that as a problem, as my chickens love the snow, but I've always fed inside so my silly dog won't eat all the feed. He's a little strange..... [​IMG]

6. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    everyones been fed and watered. i am just trying to get up the energy to go scrape some poop [​IMG] and i just have a few small repairs to do on the big coop and the little chick house - DH is working a dbl. today [​IMG] so no run building today [​IMG] we'll get to it eventually?

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Build your own run without the hubby!!! Once when I had a floor-guy in doing the floors (no, he was doing the walls, the floor guy, what else would he be doing? Anyway...) and I conned him with eyelashes and sadness into letting me use his mitre saw. I got a sucker belted out in about two hours! I had only a tiny idea of what I was doing, too - it's not as hard as it looks! Now I build runs/pens for friends for mooooney [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Helping hubby get the bucket off my backhoe so he can fix the cylinder he broke, i love to dig up things [​IMG]

Been stapeling empty plastic feed bags to the inside walls of the old horse barn to better insulate it, it turns out my peafowl have claimed it for their own when out free ranging so i am hoping the hens lay in there when they get older.
    [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I did the food, water thing in the mud. Then I cleaned out a "segregation" coop for a new arrival. One of my BYC friends has a bully hen and a small flock; I have a large flock, several coops, and lots of roosters. So she delivered her hen to me today and Phoebe has a new, small home. It's a coop kit, small, but with attached pen, and is set up in the main run area. My chickens free range, but there is a run built before I decided to let them range freely, months ago. It's also set up around the main feeders and waterers, so there is a lot of traffic with older hens/roosters and pullets/cockerels. They'll all get to see each other but not GET to each other to do damage. She'll be housed there for a couple of weeks.

And then when she's let out, she will be low on the pecking order and there will be roosters to deal with - which she's never seen or even heard until today.

Besides delivering a chicken, the visit gave my BYC friend a chance to see the two pullets I'm giving her when she gets her new coop all built and set up.

Then I'm putting together a grow-out coop/pen for four call ducklings still in the bathroom in their brooder. They're fully fledged, so it is time to start moving them out. We're getting another storm in here soon, so I probably won't put the ducklings out full time for a week or so.... just day trips for now.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:You been busy.
    Ya'll still getting alot of rain there? have not been keeping up with the news lately

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by