1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What's your fav. Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Nov 30, 2008.

1. I really want a bator [​IMG]

I have no clue which one to buy [​IMG]

Hatch-a-holics; of the bators you've tried (bought and homemade), what's been the best for you?

I DO NOT want something that will only hold half a dozen or less eggs, that's just silly IMO.

2. sounds like you have hatchalitus.....
    You need a SPORTSMAN!
    Those babies can hold some eggs!

3. [​IMG]

okay that's a little too much....

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Since you homeschool, my vote is for a homemade bator. I have hatchalitus too, but we have covenants and I haven't been able to persuade my mom to take any chicks I would hatch. It would be a great learning experience. I keep looking at coolers and thinking what a great bator one and another would make. If you wanted to splurge a bit, buy an auto turner and build your bator big enough to accomodate the turner. Let us know what you decide, and if you build one please post pictures.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the new sportsmans only hold 288 chicken eggs,,, thats not too many [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

My Fridge-a-Bator in the link in my sig line. Works perfectly.

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊ 10 Years

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Use a stryofoam cooler from wal-mart or something and you can make an awesome bator! [​IMG] Haven't tried it yet but it should work really well. Very cheap to build too and it's a fun project, since you're a home schooler. [​IMG]
    Have fun! many options out there! [​IMG]

What eggs are you planning on hatching?

8. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    i bought a little 288 capacity sportsman yesterday!![​IMG]

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

kick'n chick'n :

i bought a little 288 capacity sportsman yesterday!![​IMG]

thier GREAT aint they hehehe [​IMG] , ive had mine 2 months,, hatched over 300 eggs,, just ta try it out [​IMG]

10. Quote:I want some Silkies BAD, and some more Orpingtons (not sure on color yet), I would also be looking into quail and geese in the future.

I have a feeling that once I get started I'm going to be in trouble [​IMG] I am very prone to addiction lol

Thus why I am NOT buying a bator with a 90+ egg capactiy. My chores would never got done, my husband and children would live in squalor and would starve to death while I sat around chanting "Time to hatch the eggs, Time to hatch the eggs!"

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: