What's Your Favorite Breed and Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldtopper, Jun 14, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I've got GL Wyandottes, a Bl. Austrolorp and Buff Orpingtons.
    Each are beautiful and have their distinct personalities. The feathering on the Wyandottes is stunning. The irridescence of the Austrolorp's feathers in the sun in enchanting.
    For overall sweetness, Buff Orpingtons are my favorite. They are very gentle, love to sit on my lap and prrr. They don't get into it with the others like Wyandottes seem to. They are content to do their own thing and be mellow. They seem to have a wide variety of vocalizations and talk more than all of the others combined.

What's your favorite ?

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well, my sig say all. I would not own BO for they eat more than produce and take too long to grow out. But then I am free ranging and have special needs. If I did not own my partridge rocks it would be red susexx as second choise.

3. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    For overall sweetness, Buff Orpingtons are my favorite.

I love my Orpingtons also, but mine are a different color scheme [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love those big old fluff butts. They're such sweeties. [​IMG]

4. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    I've had Auracanas, RIRs, and Black Australorps in the past. I really love black australorps, they are beautiful and gentle and loving. RIRs are a little to aggressive for my liking. Araucanas are really gentle and sweet. I guess I'd have to go with BAs for now.

Right now I'm raising some Wyandotte chicks though, so we'll see if I end up liking them better!

5. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I am a first time chicken owner, so I am not familiar with other breeds at this point. I have 4 RIR girls that are pretty friendly, but I do talk to them and pet them everyday which I would guess makes them more social.

Oh and I give them treats which would make me the nice food lady. LOL;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    If I had to replace all my chickens with just one breed I would go with Black Australorops. Friendly, docile, good layers, and big enough they are completely earth bound. I also think they are quite beautiful. My second choice would be Easter Eggers for the muffs, green eggs, and friendliness factor.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Any of the true American Rocks, RIRs, Dels. Not the bred down production types but real tanks.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Brahmas! Big, beautiful souls. Lay in any type of weather.

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we have Buff Orps, Black Austro., barred rock, EE, and a Spangled Hamburg Roo. They are all 4 years old and still good layers, an egg every other day. i like them all, but find the Black Aust. to be a noisy bunch when arguing over the same nest box.

10. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I have (5) Black Australorps, (3)RIR's, and only one Buff O.
    My Buff O (Sara) is the leader of the pack. She is the first one out the door, when I open it up to let them free range.
    One of my RIR (Darla) is second in command, and is the only one who likes to be held.
    One of my BA's has a bad cross beak condition, and she just does what the others do. Definately a follower.

As for personality, I prefer the RIR. As for dominance, I do like the way my Buff O stepped up to be the leader. As for docile, my Black A's are it.

I don't really have a favorite of the 3 breeds. That may all change though when they start laying eggs. (I was told the Black A's are egg laying machines. That's why I bought more of them than any other of my breeds)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by