What's Your Favorite Breed Of Chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buddyfarm11, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Buddyfarm11

Buddyfarm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Phoenix,Arizona
    My Coop
    What's Your Favorite Breed of Chicken Mine Is The Brahma whats Yours [​IMG]

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    The Cochin Bantam...Don't have a pic though

3. Buddyfarm11

Feb 9, 2012
    Phoenix,Arizona
    My Coop
    Yea I Think I Have One Of Those It's a Black Cochin Bantam He's Cute Too

4. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    My favorite is the Russian Orloff. It's not very well known in the States because it was dropped out of the APA standard in the late 19th century/early 20th century, but in recent years it has started to become more popular. I don't have any good pictures on me at the moment, but if you go to Feathersite, there's a great Orloff section there with pictures and information.

God bless,
    ~Gresh~

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I don't know that I have a favorite breed yet. And I don't know that I will ever be able to choose just one. Right now I'm really liking my blue orpington hen. She's huge, gentle, very diplomatic with the rest of the flock (I suspect she's top hen, if not top of the pecking order than very near the top), and lays large eggs very regularly. I also really like my speckled sussex hens. The downsides to them is that they are a little too friendly sometimes, always in the way if they think food might be involved, and they don't lay as large an egg as any of my other girls (although they do lay fairly regularly also). But the one hen that I think we might end up keeping even after her days as a productive layer are over because we just really like her a lot is my EE hen. She was the first chicken I had to start laying, her eggs are large and she lays very well. She's friendly, although not cuddly by any means, and just an all around good chicken.

Of course there are so many breeds I would like to "try" but haven't had the time yet. Faverolles, Dorkings, Marans, and Frizzles (just for fun) are probably on the top of my breed "wish list" for the future. But I would probably be happy to try just about any breed. If I had more land, the flightier Mediterranean breeds like the leghorn or andulusian could be a lot of fun. And I haven't even seriously given bantams much thought because that makes the choices and options just too overwhelming for me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Lovely Emily

Lovely Emily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Bow Lake fowl. Hardy as an icicle and very broody. Calm, pretty, inttelegent. Far beyond the standards of an average chicken.

7. aurissavannahs

aurissavannahs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Murphy, NC
    My favorite breed is the Norwegian Jaerhon. They are small, just a little bigger than a bantam, but they lay lots of large white eggs. They are great foragers and fliers, but they don't mind confinement and though they are not cuddly they are friendly and gentle and relatively quite. Also very important they are autosexing and it is very easy to tell the roos from the hens the day they hatch. So anyone can sell sexed chicks and city dwellers, who are not allowed to have roosters, don't have to buy chicks and wait to see if they are going to have to find homes for half their chicks. It is too bad more people don't know about them as they make the best backyard hens for people with only a small area for their chickens. It is possible to keep three Jaers in the same space as two large hens and unlike bantams you will get large eggs. Each hen will lay 5 to 6 eggs a week and they don't go broody so you don't loose eggs while you try to break the hens from setting every few months. They are also hardy and don't seem to mind the cold or heat too much. They keep laying summer and winter. Oh, and I almost forgot they are pretty too. As you can see I love these little birds. [​IMG]Here are a few of my hens at point of lay. Sorry the picture is so blurry. You can't see it by they are softly barred.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  8. my favorite breed is the americauna i like all chickens really though! i just love americaunas puffy cheeks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Partridge Chanteclers

10. Buddyfarm11

Feb 9, 2012
    Phoenix,Arizona