What's your favorite meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Anna_MN, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I recently ordered 14 Jumbo Cornish X Rocks from McMurray Hatchery. I have never had meat birds before and I decided on these because they were the most highly recommended on their site. What is your favorite meat bird and why? Thanks for the help!

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    CX, undoubtably, the best feed to gain ratio, and most meat yield... HANDS DOWN!

read my BYC page.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    The Cornish crosses are THE meat bird. Not only are they the only burd used in the American meat industry, but they are the most cost effective meat bird on the market. They are bred to grow at an extremly fast rate and thus have the best feed-to-meat conversion ratio. No other meat bird comes even close. My guess is that the next best thing is probably 3 to 4 times the feed cost to produce the same weight, and even then you won't get the large breasts as you do on the Cornish crosses.

The downside is sustainability, as these birds can't breed on their own and thus the backyard enthusiasts can't hatch their own out. The next best thing is the dual purpose breeds. I have several types, though I am going primarily to Plymouth Rocks. Good layers and sizeable bodies. I also have a small flock of Dark Cornish...they are really, really, really bad layers but they are a great meat bird...though still nowhere close to the Cornish crosses.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

home grown heritage turkeys!

After butchering a few and having one for dinner for thanksgiving I can honestly say that my husband and I both never want to be near another darn store bought bird again!

So for now the heritage are our favorites (that may change next year when we eat our first home grown muscovy)

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Pomeranian geese. Yum.

Pekin Ducks

Cornish Cross Chickens

Ringneck pheasants

Bobwhite quail.

In that order.

6. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Well since people opened up the door...

My 2nd favorite meat bird- is a BBW turkey..

My 3rd is a true Cornish bantam.

From there, all others are equal, in poor meat bird ability, or cost/ production sustainability and/ or cost effectiveness.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Thanks for the input! What can you tell me about the Cornish X Rocks that i'll be getting in February? Have you ever tried them?

8. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:ya, read the 2nd comment on this post-

you feed them... they grow really fast... you butcher them... you eat them...[​IMG]

9. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Are CX the kind of chicken sold in stores then?

10. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Are CX the kind of chicken sold in stores then?

yes the only kind...

cornish
    cornish roaster
    broiler
    cornish game hen
    game hen
    cornish rock
    cornish rock x

all same bird... all same bird sold in grocery stores.

To get a game hen, you butcher the cx birds at about 3-4 weeks of age... that's most of the time the cripples and runts. pretty good market for those birds- call them something else, and jack the price up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by