Whats your favorite type of pigeon loft floor?

What's your favorite pigeon loft flooring?

• Bare wood

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Bare dirt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pine straw

• wheat straw

• Corn cob

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Wood pellets

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Hardware cloth

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2018
What is your favorite type of pigeon loft floor? There are many different options, and many different views. The pigeon loft floor is very crucial to the health of your pigeons, so it's important to think about ease of cleaning, cleanliness, and the material your floor is. So what is your preference in flooring? Please explain why.

I have gone back and forth. I used to like pine straw, but have found it is not absorbent. But, wheat straw is a very good and cheap option, which I am currently using. I have also experimented with bare wood floor, which started out very good, but I have found it is hard to maintain health.

The very best option I have ever tried is crushed corn cob. This stuff is unbelievable. It is highly obsorbant, and in small kernels. It is good on the pigeons feet, keeping them very clean. But, sadly it is not available in my area, and I am only able to get it when I am near a Rural King. It is more expensive, being $5 for 30 pounds, but it last a long time, so is well worth the money.

so what's your favorite? Cast a vote, and explain why!

I agree with you about the ground corn cob. Three problems I have found with it - some is dusty and poor quality, good quality stuff is expensive, good quality stuff is not always available. I used it deep litter and really loved it.

I agree with you about the ground corn cob. Three problems I have found with it - some is dusty and poor quality, good quality stuff is expensive, good quality stuff is not always available. I used it deep litter and really loved it.
What brand did you use? I used Beck's "better bedding" is what it's motto is. It was good stuff, and not dusty.

I would love to hear anything else you can share about using this as deep litter in the loft. How often would you change it out?

For me wood shavings blew around too much and wood pellets broke down to dust too rapidly. In the flying lofts, and lofts used for separating cocks and hens I considered a raised wire floor over bedding, but never tried that. Might have stopped hen pairs from forming and nesting on the floor.

I would love to hear anything else you can share about using this as deep litter in the loft. How often would you change it out?

I used at least 6 " of corn cob and would periodically rake the top to remove clumped feces and feathers. I was able to go at least 6 months. All water was provided outside in the aviaries to keep things dry in the loft.

This year, I tried corn cob. It absolutely turns to mush when it gets wet. I didn't lke it because it totally looks like poop and I have no idea what is a poop area and what is not a poop area. I suppose it's good for composting though, once I removed it from the floor!

Now admittedly, there might be different brands that I could still try but haven't, or I could also try not to get so much big portions of it wet. Having water tray outside the coop or aviary would help in that regard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom