What's Your Favorite Vacuum Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, May 30, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Mine is pathetic. Needs to go. Planning to save for a new one, but I've had bad luck with vacuums in the past. It MUST be lightweight, but not megabucks. I don't care how much you love your Kirby, I can't afford one. So it's got to be reasonably priced. Years ago I had a Kenmore, which worked great, but it was the canister kind that you pull and that's no good here. I have a small house and I really need an upright. I've also had a Eureka upright, which was nice and lightweight, but otherwise pretty useless. Didn't pick up well and the belt constantly broke or came off. Right now I have an old used Kenmore upright, the kind that takes bags, and it doesn't work well, and I hate the bag concept anyway. I always ooh and ahh at the Oreck vacuum ads boasting that it's only 7 pounds, but they're EXPENSIVE. The Dyson ads are impressive too, but again, more than I can afford.

I only have two small rooms with carpet and a couple of area rugs, so I just can't justify spending a ton of money on a vacuum, nor can I afford it even if I wanted to, but I'm sick of crappy vacuums too. Is there any happy medium? Anyone have a vacuum that is an UPRIGHT, LIGHTWEIGHT, preferably bagless and works great that isn't a bazillion dollars???

Exact models and pics would be a real bonus! [​IMG]

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I love my Roomba. Push a button and let it go. It parks back on the charge station when done. Cleans 2-3 rooms on one charge. Now they have one you can program to clean certain days of the week. Might ask for one for my birthday.

I think I have an upright of some sort, but I haven't seen it in a long time as I no longer vacuum.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Oreck. Have you checked Ebay? The great thing about Oreck is they have replacement parts. Do you have a store in your area? Sometimes they have refurbished ones. My first one is now around 12 years old and still works great. I did finally buy a new one, so I have an upstairs and downstairs vacuum cleaner. The little handheld vacuum that comes with the 'deal' is a godsend. I use it for the car, stairs, furniture. (Even the cat like it.)

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a Miehl upright and it worked well but I hated buying the expensive bags for it. Sometimes you can get generic bags at Target. I then bot a Dyson with the little round canister but I'm not crazy about it. I have to keep taking the head apart. It doesn't lose suction though and doesn't use bags so I got used to it.

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I've never heard anything bad about Orecks, and I did just check their website and they have a "basic starter model" that isn't horribly expensive, but I gotta admit I hate the bag concept. I hate buying them, running out of them, wasting them as opposed to emptying a reusable container.... on the other hand I haven't seen a bagless style that does a great job either. [​IMG]

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    One that works.... [​IMG]

7. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I have an Electolux that I love.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Gee, really? Huge help, thanks. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I love my Miele.

10. rhiannon

rhiannon Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I have an ol;d Rainbow,from the 80's, and it still works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by