Whats your go-to Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MarthaTheRooster, May 22, 2019.

1. MarthaTheRooster

MarthaTheRooster Songster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    I have lots of different varieties of plants in my flower bed and in pots and I was wondering if there was a fertilizer I could use for all of them? Some examples of plants I have is azaleas, lilacs, morning glories, hostas, mothers in law tongue, lavender, elephant ears, ferns, and wandering jews. I know I would have to fertilize all these at different intervals but I would like to just buy one thing of fertilizer to use on all of them if possible. What are some of your favorite brands? What should I be wary of? What are some fertilizing tips?

2. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    Rabbit poop is what we use. It totally helps our garden! Rabbit manure is called "Gardener's Gold" for a good reason!

3. MarthaTheRooster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    I don't have any access to rabbit droppings, I'm not sure of anyone around me who raises them, but I will definitely keep that in mind!

AltonaAcres likes this.
  4. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Worm compost works on everything.

AltonaAcres likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I'm assuming since you are on BYC that you have chickens? I like to compost the bedding and droppings from my chickens and ducks in a barrel and then till it into the soil prior to planting.

igorsMistress likes this.
  6. MarthaTheRooster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    EDIT: I'm not in the position to do any composting, at least not this year. I was looking for more commercial brands, or household products.

7. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Never heard of this plant. And wonder WHY anyone would voluntarily plant something with that name....maybe I'm just a bit jaded, and for the record, something I would not fertilize.

You could make it easy on yourself and just use one kind and hope for the best. You could also just use those little fertilizer sticks, sold in a blister pack at most stores. My older neighbor swears by them. Just one per plant and he and his wife do have pretty nice and healthy plants.

Examples of the fertilizer sticks: Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 8.17.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 8.17.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 8.18.12 PM.png

8. MarthaTheRooster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    Its a pretty common house plant, its usually called a snake plant, but there's an old wives tale that the snake like leaves represent a mother in laws tongue, hence the name. I have two of them, one being very special to me since my long distance friend gave it to me from a cutting of her plant.

I've seen the fertilizer sticks and I believe I'm going to pick some up next time I'm in a garden center and give them a try! They seem super easy!

Here's what they look like:

[​IMG]

Albertan likes this.
  9. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Thanks for the clarification! I think I’ve seen this before, but never knew a name for it!

AltonaAcres and MarthaTheRooster like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: