What's your largest clutch ever???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brx017, Nov 16, 2011.

1. brx017

brx017 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Taylorsville, NC
    My silkie hen "Flossie Mae" just started laying a few weeks ago, and she's steadily laid nearly an egg a day. Hearing how broody silkies are, I just left the eggs in the nest waiting for her to start sitting (or is it setting?). Well, the eggs just kept piling up, and yesterday I finally decided to give up and clean the nest box out. I go out to the coop, flip the lid open on the nest box and there she is! I just left her alone.

I went out tonight to see if she's still sitting, and she still is. I picked her up off the eggs to count them... 24!!! TWENTY-FOUR! I cant believe it. She seems to be covering them fairly well, but I doubt they'll all make it. I'll try candling them this weekend and see if any of them are developing, and cull the rest. I'd be surprised if I get a 50% hatch.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what yall's largest clutches have been, and how successful they were???

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a barnyard banty mix that set on 16 eggs and hatched and raised 10 of them. I was impressed!

Good luck to yours!

3. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    wow impressive...hope it all goes fantastic for you...[​IMG]
    I have a silkie...
    and have been very surprised how well she has layed...
    I have an austrolp(how ever you spell it)...thinking she would be a good layer...
    but no...it is the silkie...get 5-6 eggs from her a week...
    don;t know how well she wll do through winter but so far going strong..

4. brx017

brx017 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Taylorsville, NC
    Yeah, it took her a long time to lay it seemed (8 months or so), but she's laid around 6 a week since she started. I was surprised how large they are too. I mean, they're not store-bought size, but they're not REALLY small as I expected.

5. joshyoua_rine

joshyoua_rine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    24 silkie eggs and two oegb eggs hehe thanks brx

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ive had 26 eggs, i beat you by 2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by