What's your opinion.....Keep the peepers or remove the peepers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dr.Doorlock, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Many of you have had fun seeing my pullets wearing the "Pinless Peepers" in videos and picts at my web site. They seem to have served their purpose - they made my young hens stop pecking. They are now full feathered and looking very good. The question is......will they peck again after the peepers are taken off. I need opinions, experience would be helpful.

The coop is done and they have a VERY nice run as well as occasional treats like cottage cheese. The protein intake is high and they have plenty of space. Will they make me put the peepers back on?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I say let them go. Not for the good of the chickens, but because I wanna see what you come up with next....

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Though your googly eye peepers are a source of great hilarity around here, you might want to remove them. Try it, and see if they start again. You can always put them back on. They'd probably enjoy the change, and it might be better to remove them before your chickens evolve into flounder.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

Thank you for making me choke on my salad!

5. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I would remove them and see how it goes.

I have a question. Did you put them on by hand or did you have the special pliers that they sell as well? I'm considering getting some of them to help my plucking problem and I'm worried that they're hard to put on.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Those are soooooooo cute. [​IMG]
    What breed are those hens?

7. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:I've found the Perfect Peeper Pliers for $9.97 at Lowes in the irrigation section of the plumbing department. Item # 126028 was made for sprinkler heads, but they are just the thing for removing or....gulp!.....replacing peepers.

8. Dr.Doorlock

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Quote:My pullets are "production hens" from Ideal Poultry. They are RIR wirh a mix of something. For me and my money, it's all about the eggs. I drove 7 hours to pick up 8 chicks the day before Christmas Eve. I was going to name them after Santa's reindeer until I lost one to one of my small dogs because he thought it was a toy and jumped four feet into the air to bite his head off. That warning to me probably saved all the others. I'll never again trust a dog to understand.

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i have a question about the peepers (love the eyes!)

my older chickens are starting to pick, altho they have everything that is supposed to keep them NOT picking.
    do the peepers prevent them from eating or seeing where they are going?

10. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Hi Dr. Doorlock!

I was wondering if you removed the peepers and how it went. How long did they wear them?

Thanks!

Karla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by