1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's your opinion on (flight connection times?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Fierlin1182, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Next month I'm going on holiday and have got myself a short stopover time for both flights (including return) - at first I thought, this is going to be great! And then I thought, rats, I'm probably going to end up missing my flight.

I'm changing planes in Singapore - I've been there several times before so I know my way round reasonably. Do you think 1.5 hours is enough for a transfer? Both flights are international, but it's the same airline and likely to be in the same terminal. From past experience I know it takes me FOREVER to even get off the plane... my plan of action is to not carry much with me so as soon as we reach the gate I can just grab my bag and go, no waiting in line to access the overhead lockers. :p Someone tells me I should chat with the flight attendants and get them to move me nearer the front before landing if the plane isn't full - I'm not sure if that would actually be allowed though...

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do any of you have similar kind of experience? I know Singapore is very efficient but I'm still not 100% sure...
    I see all sorts of opinions on travel forums and my parents are divided on the issue.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Sorry this is a little late but i would say an hour and a half would be the minimum you'd ever want between connecting flights. Any little hold up with your first flight and you risk missing your second.

3. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    :frow

Turns out there was a change of date anyway and I'm now leaving mid-January - so not late. :p

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. A friend told me the second plane waits if the first one is delayed, because it happened to her before (same airport). I wonder if that's still the case. I somehow can't imagine it if a lot of flights hit a gutsy headwind on the way over :lol:

Pretty much every time I've flown before, which is a reasonable lot, our plane has been "10-20 minutes early", I wonder if they add a bit onto the ETA anyway just to make it seem like they're always early. (just kidding!)

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I've done a lot of traveling and never had a connecting flight wait for a delayed flight. You have to realize most of the people on your first flight will either have a different connecting flight or not be connecting at all. You would need a large number of people on your original flight transferring to your second to have them hold the plane. They aren't going to hold up a whole flight just for a few people when they have people on stand-by to fill those seats.

5. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Yeah, that makes sense. Just gotta hope it's the case then, because Singapore is a pretty common place for a stopover :p

6. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Well it was fine - for both trips the first plane was over an hour ahead of schedule (judging by that I reckon they do add a bit onto the quoted time, just in case or for whatever reason :lol:) and on the way there the second one was delayed for 40 minutes.
    It wouldn't have mattered anyway, I found the gate in 15 minutes, terminal change and all, and I wasn't even walking fast. :p The gate wasn't opened yet so I found a spot by the koi pond (lol, Singapore airport has the most awesome things) and took advantage of the free wi-fi...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by