What's your opinion on the most natural feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jbofky, Aug 2, 2014.

1. jbofky

jbofky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    I'd love to feed my layers and red rangers organic feed. But I've called every feed store within about 50 miles, and had no luck. And I can't afford to mail order it for $30+ per bag. The closest thing that I've found is a local Amish mill that custom mixes theirs with non-gmo ingredients. None of them seem to be crazy about it except the corn. Layer is 14% protein and contains corn, soybeans, oats, oyster shell, layer mineral, molasses. Grower is 18% protein and contains corn, soybeans, oats, broiler mineral, and molasses. I'm also concerned that it could be lacking complete nutritional needs.
    A feed store in town has Naturewise. http://m.nutrenaworld.com/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/
    Tractor Supply carries Purina. http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store...rue&bCrumbCatIds=,141&Purina®+(17)=Purina[​IMG]%5E17%5Eads_f4_ntk_cs%3APurina%26reg%3B&brandFacet=Purina[​IMG]

My goal is to find the healthiest, most natural diet for them any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, the most natural diet for them would be to free range. As for organic/non-GMO feed, where are you located? Maybe you can ask on your state thread where people find it. Around here it runs $28-36 per 50 lb bag and that isn't special ordered or shipped to you.

3. jbofky

jbofky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Im in south central Kentucky. I didn't know there was a state thread somewhere, I'll try to find it. I can't free range because of the predators, but eventually I'm going to do paddocks like Paul Wheaton over at www.permies.com . I have 13 acres but it's all open grass land, no forest. So I think I'd still have to supplement with feed with the paddock system.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by