what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TimBaumann, Jul 27, 2013.

1. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Songster

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    This hen of mine hatched out 3 eggs and left the other three in the nest. One of those 3 hatched and now the hen won't accept it. Since chicken are very social I thought of taking one chick from the 3 away from the hen and raising two instead of one lone chick. The chicks don't peck at each other but the one I took away is screaming quite a lot. Do you think that it was a good decision to take one of the chicks away so the other isn't alone?
    There are probably loads of people on here who have gone through the same thing as I am right now so please share your experiences :)
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you tried slipping the chick under her while she was sleeping? That may work. If she still won't accept it I would take one of her chicks as a buddy for the lone chick. Chicks are just so much happier when they have company of their own kind.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Good luck! Try giving the two chicks a mirror and/or a stuffed animal that they can climb on and snuggle up too

4. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Songster

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Hi. Thanks for the replies. Sumi I haven't tried slipping it under the hen at night. The chick was under the hen for a few hours and then the hen started attacking it. Also I don't want to wake up to a dead chick if she still didn't accept it after that night. But to be honest I also want to raise the chick (and the other one). It's always so much fun [​IMG].

Thanks ChirpyChicks1 I've put some ostrich feathers in their little brooder and they seem to like them.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: