Whats your Red sex-link Roosters Temper like?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens44, Feb 20, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Hello, I currently have no rooster, But 4 baby red sex-link chicks and today I confirmed ones a cockeral, his comb and waddles are alreay turning red and hes white, and now brown is comming in on his wings! that confirms a boy! [​IMG]

Just wondering whats your experience with Red sex-links Rooster/cockerals?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Part of the difficulty here is that sex links describes the trait of breeding for color differentiation at birth, but doesn't convey a significant amount of information to even venture a good guess about personality of your particularly roo. There are so many red sex link mixes.

The red sex link would likely use, typically use a RiR type or New Hampshire type rooster. It's a little tough to make generalized statements about temperament. Most roosters of a red sex link would most likely share the personality of a Red rooster. There are lots of good and bad reports about their nature. Sorry this is a bland reply, but specificity is difficult to offer. Predicting the temperament of your particular rooster is guess work and sheer speculation.

I've raised a few. They were huge and more on the aggressive side of the spectrum.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Fred's Hens :

Part of the difficulty here is that sex links describes the trait of breeding for color differentiation at birth, but doesn't convey a significant amount of information to even venture a good guess about personality of your particularly roo. There are so many red sex link mixes.

The red sex link would likely use, typically use a RiR type or New Hampshire type rooster. It's a little tough to make generalized statements about temperament. Most roosters of a red sex link would most likely share the personality of a Red rooster. There are lots of good and bad reports about their nature. Sorry this is a bland reply, but specificity is difficult to offer. Predicting the temperament of your particular rooster is guess work and sheer speculation.

I've raised a few. They were huge and more on the aggressive side of the spectrum.

ok thanks [​IMG] ya im hoping the silver laced cochin egg in the incubator is a male, because id like to have a rooster, But Im not fond of mean ones and I diddent think RSL roo's (most of the time) had a good reputation.​

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have raised a ton of them(35 years) from all mixes of sexlinked crosses and most are mildly aggressive. Hope this helps

5. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Quote:I always thought that you could identify male sex links at birth. Your cockerals will be white and your pullets red. Why are you just now telling? Just curious, not trying to be a smartypants.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:I always thought that you could identify male sex links at birth. Your cockerals will be white and your pullets red. Why are you just now telling? Just curious, not trying to be a smartypants.

Because mine tectnicaly(sp?) are not red sex-links, there second generation meaning there not going to stay true to there breed/ colors.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by