What's your silliest duck story?!

blondiebee181

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Boise, ID
Ducks are such comedians! I have 2 Indian Runners and they are such goobers! One day earlier this fall I was out on the deck cutting dead flowers when I heard this frantic quacking and scrabbling....I looked around in time to see this huge cloud of dust poof out of our ash bucket from the BBQ and wood fire. Ivy had fallen in! I ran over and dragged the poor girl out....she was coated in a fine layer of light brownish-grey dust....I put her down and she waddled off with Willow in toe as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened at all, but when she shook herself, the cloud of ash that flew off made me laugh!

gig.gif
Share your duck stories!

An old, beat up, brown plastic utility funnel got left outside for.... A long period of time. Ahem. One of those "I'll get to picking that up NEXT time.." things.

Anyway, it was pushed around for a while by my two geese. It got toppled over so it wasnt resting upright on the wider, open end any more. Then one day I heard an odd sound that sorta sounded like a duck's quack. Upon investigation, I discovered one of the young Cayuga hens had pushed her bill into the small end and was quacking into it. Not stuck, but going "Quack'" and pausing, then quacking again and listening to the effect!

Mine isn't isn't too funny but made me quite proud. While I live in the country I have a neighbor. Suffice to say, we don't get along. I had chickens and ducks and was surprised to see one day, my neighbor had gotten chickens as well. Well these interloper chickens frequent my yard. No big deal - chickens roam, right? But the two that would come over most were these huge Black Giant roosters. They look like great big dinosaurs compared to my diminutive hens. They were aggressive as all get out and rough on my hens. Chase them off and back they would come. After chasing them off a few times my ducks took over! They would actually intercept the two randy roosters as they approached and chase them back or "cut" them from the flock of my chickens. If the roosters weren't quick enough the ducks would latch on - often one would have a rooster by the back of the head, another by the tail feathers. The rooster couldn't jump and spur as he was being held down fore and aft and pulled in opposing directions! While being held, my two other ducks would go on strafing runs at the luckless rooster - getting in a good pinch or a bill full of black feathers! Highly entertaining viewing! This happened a few times and soon whenever the roosters poked their heads through the hedge the ducks would start their angry chatter, extend their necks and charge toward them. The two roosters no longer come around!!

Last edited:
clap.gif

I noticed something about my ducks when Einz would scream at the new buffs. When she would not settle down, I walked over to her and wrapped her up in a gentle hug, then lifted and turned her away from the pen where the buffs were. I did that also with Fünf. Then I stepped back to watch some more.

Next time Einz ran over to the fence to yell at the buffs, four of the runners surrounded her, a couple gently grabbed her by the shoulder, and they walked her away from the buffs. I was amazed.

An old, beat up, brown plastic utility funnel got left outside for.... A long period of time. Ahem. One of those "I'll get to picking that up NEXT time.." things.
Anyway, it was pushed around for a while by my two geese. It got toppled over so it wasnt resting upright on the wider, open end any more. Then one day I heard an odd sound that sorta sounded like a duck's quack. Upon investigation, I discovered one of the young Cayuga hens had pushed her bill into the small end and was quacking into it. Not stuck, but going "Quack'" and pausing, then quacking again and listening to the effect!
THATS AWESOME lololol
lau.gif

Mine isn't isn't too funny but made me quite proud. While I live in the country I have a neighbor. Suffice to say, we don't get along. I had chickens and ducks and was surprised to see one day, my neighbor had gotten chickens as well. Well these interloper chickens frequent my yard. No big deal - chickens roam, right? But the two that would come over most were these huge Black Giant roosters. They look like great big dinosaurs compared to my diminutive hens. They were aggressive as all get out and rough on my hens. Chase them off and back they would come. After chasing them off a few times my ducks took over! They would actually intercept the two randy roosters as they approached and chase them back or "cut" them from the flock of my chickens. If the roosters weren't quick enough the ducks would latch on - often one would have a rooster by the back of the head, another by the tail feathers. The rooster couldn't jump and spur as he was being held down fore and aft and pulled in opposing directions! While being held, my two other ducks would go on strafing runs at the luckless rooster - getting in a good pinch or a bill full of black feathers! Highly entertaining viewing! This happened a few times and soon whenever the roosters poked their heads through the hedge the ducks would start their angry chatter, extend their necks and charge toward them. The two roosters no long come around!!
HAHAHA! That's so cool, yeah my ducks have a couple choice hens they like to chase...

clap.gif

I noticed something about my ducks when Einz would scream at the new buffs. When she would not settle down, I walked over to her and wrapped her up in a gentle hug, then lifted and turned her away from the pen where the buffs were. I did that also with Fünf. Then I stepped back to watch some more.

Next time Einz ran over to the fence to yell at the buffs, four of the runners surrounded her, a couple gently grabbed her by the shoulder, and they walked her away from the buffs. I was amazed.
That is so cute!

One of my ducks was a pretty reputable "escape artist", if you will, and somehow always managed to escape the pen (We eventually fixed this problem
roll.png
haha). Usually when she did this, she would stay near the pen and look for goodies in the yard surrounding it. However one time last winter she escaped again, waddled all the way up to the house. Fly/climbed up the stairs of the deck, waddled over to the sliding glass patio door and started pecking at it. I heard tapping on the door from inside the house and couldn't believe it when I went to check.. it was SO funny!
lol.png

I started out with 1 runner duck 4 chickens and 2 turkeys all raised together from chicks. When they were old enough to be outside, we free ranged them. The problem was they loved to roost on the old couch on our porch. Ducky however could not get up on the couch and would stand back and quack at his family who of course could get on the back of the couch. My 9 year old daughter took pity one night and picked ducky up and put her on the couch. This went on for 3 nights until my daughter stayed the night away from home. I was watching tv that night when I heard a strange knock on my door. When I looked out the window there was ducky looking up at me. Then she looked over at the couch. Basically telling me to put her up on the couch. She continued each night to knock on the door when she was ready to roost for the night.

I started out with 1 runner duck 4 chickens and 2 turkeys all raised together from chicks. When they were old enough to be outside, we free ranged them. The problem was they loved to roost on the old couch on our porch. Ducky however could not get up on the couch and would stand back and quack at his family who of course could get on the back of the couch. My 9 year old daughter took pity one night and picked ducky up and put her on the couch. This went on for 3 nights until my daughter stayed the night away from home. I was watching tv that night when I heard a strange knock on my door. When I looked out the window there was ducky looking up at me. Then she looked over at the couch. Basically telling me to put her up on the couch. She continued each night to knock on the door when she was ready to roost for the night.
That's just adorable!

Back
Top Bottom