What's your stance on wing clipping?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dragonshiner, Jun 4, 2008.

1. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Okay, I've just started to raise some Muscovy ducklings and recently purchased a pair of pastel calls. Now I know that most domestic duck breeds don't fly, except for these. I'm worried I may have to clip their wings to keep them around the farm if I let them free range. I'm a little apprehensive about the idea though. What does everyone else think about it?

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well I have never had ducks. Though I have had plenty of chickens and clipped a lot of chicken feathers. They will just grow back. I really do not think it is a problem. If you do not want them to fly or are thinking they might try to fly away I would definatlly clip there wings

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well its necessary 4 me to do it. If they fly out of the preperty they will for sure be stolen of eaten by neighbors or animals I don't like to do it because I love it when the animals can fly and jump on the roof lol but it needs to be done

4. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I don't see a problem with clipping the flight feathers. Pinioning is an entirely different thing for me though. Clipping the first joint of the wing off just seems wrong.

5. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Okay, I am TOTALLY against pinioning that just seems cruel, at least to me, I realize others may feel differently about it.
    I live on five acres and have really fantastic neighbors who own the surrounding cornfields so I really don't mind letting them fly around a bit, I just don't want them to fly away completely. The adult pair of pastels I purchased might do that but I don't want to keep them penned up inside either, unless that's what they decide they want for themselves. I love watching my ducks free range during the day and then come inside for the night for some well earned feed and bed time.
    I'm thinking I can clip the flight feathers on this first pair and then any subsequent offspring could reasonably be trusted to stick around the farm on their own, you think?

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Whenever I get new ducks in that might be able to fly, even just over the fence, I clip one wing on each so they can't wander. That way they know where home is and will be most likely to stick around once they go through a molt. After that, I don't clip the wings. They might need them to get away from something.

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    So how is the call duck wing clipping working out. Have they showed you how well they can fly yet:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by