What's your worst predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken farmer, Oct 16, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    What is your most common or worst lurking predator?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm a pigeon raiser/flyer. The worst predator that I must deal with is the Coopers hawk.

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Yea I would say,I hope they didn't get to many but luckily I haven't had any problems with any predators at all yet

4. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Mine is red tailed hawks and weasels.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Roaming dogs, usually the neighbor's dogs.

Next, the neighbor's semi feral cats. Despite several people on this site claiming cats don't kill adult chickens I had chickens (that are dead now) that would swear that is B.S.

Foxes - only a couple of bad experiences.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Over the years other predators that have caused me problems have been: fox, raccoons, cats, Great Horned Owls, redtail hawks, a goshawk, opossums, rats, weasels, and dogs. Everything likes to eat poultry - me included.

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    [​IMG]

8. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    i own about 10 cats and my chickens are free run and no problems so far.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Semi-feral as in being claimed by someone in the neighborhood; however no vaccinating, spaying, providing them with an actual home and especially NEVER feeding them.

I have gone to the barn and fed the girls, everyone is happy and healthy. Gone back to the barn to find them in the rafters scared to death of the cat that is eating one of my hens that he caught while I was in the house. On TWO separate occassions..........

I really wish it wasn't true :(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Fox for me. I free ranged every day for a year with no problems until a fox moved in. She had kits, only one survived and she has taken 7 of my chickens, my neighbors entire flock except one, and killed all my other neighbors 4h chickens. She has eluded every trap and only seems to be around when I don't have a gun in arms reach. She has been causing problems for the neighborhood since the beginning of June. Every other predator I was able to capture/kill/ward off except the fox. She isn't afraid of humans, houses, or my dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by