What's you're preferred bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I like the softness and scent of pine bedding but they throw it everywhere.
    I like the nonthrownaroundness of hay but if it gets wet it gets an icky sweet smell and it's fly heaven

Any idea for the pros of pine without it being thrown everywhere? What do you like and why and what do you add besides bedding (DE, StallDry)

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I use pine pellets and they are great. With any little bit of moisture they swell and then fall apart, making sawdust. I add either stall dry or DE, depending on which I grab first. It really helps with keeping the odor down.

3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

We use a coarse sawdust/wood chip bedding that we get from a local sawmill, mostly pine, the same thing that we use in our horse stalls. It smells good, it's absorbent and soft, and inexpensive if we load it in our pickup ($25 a load, lasts 2 months for 3 horses and a little for the coop). I pick it out every morning with a "junior" manure fork (tines close together) and I only need to replace it completely twice a year or so. This is in a big coop (14'x8') with a wood/vinyl floor that stays very dry. I compost it and it breaks down very quickly, and makes the absolute best soil conditioner and fertilizer for the garden.
    I have removable 2x4s at the doors to help keep the bedding in the coop, hasn't been much of a problem. My coop is screened, but flies have not been a problem at all. I did add DE to it at first but that created a big dust problem, so now i just put the DE in their outside "sandbox". Of course, this is Colorado, and mites and lice are very rare here.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm using pine shavings on a linoleum floor and so far I like it. It's about 4 inches thick right now.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Dora'smom :

I use pine pellets and they are great. With any little bit of moisture they swell and then fall apart, making sawdust. I add either stall dry or DE, depending on which I grab first. It really helps with keeping the odor down.

Ditto that. I loooooove walking on the sawdust coz it has such a springy feel to it.

I don't add anything, just fluff them with a rake as needed. My coop really doesn't smell [​IMG]
    The chickens like to dustbathe in it, which helps keep it fluffed without me having to rake it.

Plus, in my open air, dirt floored coop - it self-composts, which is REALLY NICE (I believe it has to get wet to compost, my coop does get wet around the edges since it doesn't have walls)​

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I like it so far. We have breeder cages, the rest of the coop is dirt and no birds walk on it. When we get our coop expanded and the standards I'll probably use sand so I can just rake it.

7. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I only used straw, but DH suggested I start using sawdust - and what a great suggestion that has been [​IMG]
    It absorbs the moisture so well, and lasts for ages ( only have to scrap the droppings off the top)
    I wouldnt go back to straw now.

8. TC_BokBok

TC_BokBok Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    I use a combination for my deep litter method.
    1/2 hay and 1/2 pine shavings + SweetPDZ

I have roughly 28sq. foot of hen house to cover which is elevated off the ground. I turn it once a week and add in a little more SweetPDZ and I get a lot of mileage out of this combo. When it's all said and done... it's off to the compost bin.

9. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Our bantam cochins seem to do better on straw, but we use pine shavings for everyone else. The shavings tend to ball up under the cochins' feet and make a mess. The pine smells nice and the birds like to pick thru it and that keeps it stirred up. Sometimes I will throw a scoop of black oiler sunflower seeds in it like scratch-they can see the black seeds better.

10. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I use the DLM 1/2 wood chips and 1/2 coffee chaff in my coop with Stall-Dri

and sand in my run......easy to rake

No smell and no problem with flies.......altho it is only 50 degrees here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by