what've we got here?! *PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by niwatori, May 2, 2008.

1. niwatori

niwatori New Egg

May 1, 2008
    we think that we've got 3 hens and a roo. . . but would REALLY like help confirming this because we can't keep any roos where we live. they're all 6 weeks old.

Polly, our white-crested polish...is he a roo? if so, will he start crowing soon?
    [​IMG]

Buff (buff orpington, pic 2) and Lulu (Ameraucana, pic 2 and 3)--we're pretty sure they're female, but this is our first flock, we'd certainly like to know if you agree or disagree [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lacey--hopefully you'll agree she's also female... we got here as a gold-laced wyandotte, but she doesn't look like what we were expecting. will she get browner when she's older or does anyone recognize her as a different breed?
    [​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    as far as the polish I have no clue, I have a mottled houdan and still haven't figured it out for sure, although I think he's a roo cause he was part of a pan fry special. The other ones, though, all look like hens!!! I may be wrong, but I know my roo started looking like a roo a month old....I knew he was a he when I bought him, he was just so sweet!!!! I'd say hens!!!!!

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have a black white crested polish slighly younger then yours, she has more of a poof and no red on her much smaller wattles, no comb growth either. So I think you have a boy there. Your buff orp looks like a pullet.

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    #1 looks like a boy to me :|

5. I_Heart_Chickens

I_Heart_Chickens New Egg

May 2, 2008
    Thank you so much for posting! I was about to post and ask what my chic (6 weeks) was but she looks so identical to your Ameraucana I don't need to ask.

I order 25 "Heavy Assorted Pullets (Nice assortment of brown egg breeds)" so I didn't even consider the ameraucana breeds. Though now seeing your girl, I am sure several in my flock are. I'll take some pics of some of the other girls and post to see what they are...

[​IMG]

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I also think #1 is a roo and the GLW will get it's lacing as it gets older, don't worry. I'm sure she will turn out beautiful. And I think all the rest are girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by