1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheat Berries gone bad

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by philsphamily, Jan 29, 2009.

1. philsphamily

philsphamily New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    We've got a bucket of hard white wheat berries that had some water get into them and smell a little funny now, thus, I won't be using them in breads for us. Is that something I can feed my ladies? There isn't any visible mold, but they do smell a little fermented and some of them have puffed a little. I have given them a few handfuls, and of course they love it, but wanted to see if that sound like a bad idea to anyone. Thanks!!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would err on the side of caution and not feed them to the chickens. JMHO.

3. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:That's when they are extremely nutritious for them!!!!!!!
    That is what you do to soak grains to make them higher in protein, vitamins, etc. If they were slightly sprouted, that's even better for them!!! Use them, they are a very valuable source of nutrition!!!

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Use them up before they get moldy. They are an excellent feed for birds.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You might be able to sprout some of them also

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Not for chickens but recently I saw a woman making (?) wheat grass drinks. It was very interesting as she grew the wheat berries (for drinks) in a clear plastic trash bag that was set in a cake type pan. The seeds were approx 2" thick and had beautiful 2 inch high green sprouts.
    I'd assume that taking out a 3x3 slice, chop up and put in with other treats that it would be great for winter food.
    Like with bean sprouts, I'm sure you will need to rinse each day to prevent souring or decomp.
    (We also grow this for our kitties)
    But if the wheat berries do not drive you out, I'd rinse them off and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by