Wheat Berries gone bad

philsphamily

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
We've got a bucket of hard white wheat berries that had some water get into them and smell a little funny now, thus, I won't be using them in breads for us. Is that something I can feed my ladies? There isn't any visible mold, but they do smell a little fermented and some of them have puffed a little. I have given them a few handfuls, and of course they love it, but wanted to see if that sound like a bad idea to anyone. Thanks!!

Quote:
That's when they are extremely nutritious for them!!!!!!!
That is what you do to soak grains to make them higher in protein, vitamins, etc. If they were slightly sprouted, that's even better for them!!! Use them, they are a very valuable source of nutrition!!!

Not for chickens but recently I saw a woman making (?) wheat grass drinks. It was very interesting as she grew the wheat berries (for drinks) in a clear plastic trash bag that was set in a cake type pan. The seeds were approx 2" thick and had beautiful 2 inch high green sprouts.
I'd assume that taking out a 3x3 slice, chop up and put in with other treats that it would be great for winter food.
Like with bean sprouts, I'm sure you will need to rinse each day to prevent souring or decomp.
(We also grow this for our kitties)
But if the wheat berries do not drive you out, I'd rinse them off and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom