Wheat grass for greens? Anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by karlamaria, May 6, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have buckets of wheat, thought I would see if wheat grass would be a good green for my chickens and just keep a flat of it going and add new flats to keep up supply, anyone do this ? It's got to be healthy for my girls if it's a great health benefit for humans. I figure a flat a day for them to eat along with there food, and bugs (to save on my yard grass to and let it grow as I move them around the yard)
    Plan on growing kale, and greens for them to in buckets ,does this sound nuts? Lol

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    If you're nuts, then I'm right there with you. And it's AWESOME.

Seriously, wheat grass sounds like a fantastic idea (not that I'm any kind of expert). I'd be amazed if it weren't a great, nutrition-packed food to give your flock.

3. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Thank you! I have sprouts going now, will run to walmart to get there black trays and start my wheat grass, not sure babies eat it yet, but I want to get some going so they can try it and get accustomed to it. I saw a YouTube video that
    A woman does a tray a day and uses one a day, my chickens will have greens all year round
    With very little effort, (sprouting wheat grass can be done indoors) and wheat far cheaper then buy
    All the greens from the store. We get bad and long winters here, so having greens all winter
    Will be great for them. I plant to give them other greens but figured this will be a good way to get grass in
    During the cold months

4. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have picked up 25pounds of wheat at the store ( wheat Montana organic) for less then 8 dollars, for one tray they say to use 2 cups as this expands to 4 cups when sprouted. Where I live greens cost a lot more, our growing season is so small here. So this should save me lots on produce [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I do wheat grass and sprouts every winter for them. They free range during the growing season, so I don't bother the rest of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by