Wheat Straw shortage next year?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newmochick, Dec 7, 2009.

1. newmochick

newmochick New Egg

Jul 25, 2009
    Just an fyi: If you had a wet fall, the winter wheat may not have gotten planted so wheat straw may be in short supply next year.[​IMG] I stopped by to pick some up today (before the cold hits this week) and he told me that they may not be able to get much next year after this years supply is gone. I live in the KCMO area so you may want to ask your supplier and buy a few extras now while they still have it. This didn't occur to me as the fields around me are untouched after the beans were harvested.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Everything was harvested late this year up here. The neighbor's corn in the field behind our house was just combined this evening, just in time for 12" of snow tomorrow night.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Thank you for the heads-up, and [​IMG]

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Good advice as:

1) a lot of intended acres of wheat never got planted. Some of the fields that are, may not make it over winter.

2) more and more farmers are realizing how many nutrients they are giving away when they sell straw off of farm. So for them to replace what they gave away, pay for equipment, make a profit, wheat straw needs to be $5-8 per bale (small square bale). Not sure how much middle men, retailers will add on to that.

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Don't forget to add that the profit potential for wheat is much less than that of corn and soybeans right now. It just stinks thinking about selling a crop with a basis over $1.00.

We want to get some wheat into our rotations as it will give us the ability to plant Tillage Radishes or another cover crop.

Unfortunately there are still "yea hoos" out there selling both hay and straw at prices much below break evens. With Phosphate and Potash prices where ther are now you just can not justify the old "dollar a bale" for straw anymore.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:Don't forget to add that the profit potential for wheat is much less than that of corn and soybeans right now. It just stinks thinking about selling a crop with a basis over $1.00.

We want to get some wheat into our rotations as it will give us the ability to plant Tillage Radishes or another cover crop.

Jim

Can always fly on annual rye grass, less expensive, over soybeans. or switch to dairy, and fly on after cutting silage.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We got all our wheat planted this fall, but some much later than normal. The only straw we bale is for our cattle operation and we make big rounds.....not the little squares. I actually buy a few squares every fall from a neighbor who bales a few every year.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Straw is $5 a square bale here in E Tenn. I use grass clippings for litter and nests, and I love it. Free and smells good each time you dump some more in. When I toss it in to the chooks, they dive into it and eat it. Am doing deep litter method for coop.

I went to Ace Hdw for something a couple of months ago and while there I asked if I could rake out his straw trailer and he said yes, haul it off. I got a heaping long bed pickup truck load of free straw. Asked about it again a month later and was told that with economy so bad, they are now being told by home office not to let anyone do that anymore. Said they would re-bale what is broken/scattered in trailers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by