1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wheaten Ameracauna breeding possibilities? Ideas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NapsWithChickens, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    One thing has lead to another...

I recent fell in love with my blue olive-eggers (courtesy of onthespot) which are from black copper marans hens covered by a splash ameracauna roo... AND ...

I have an order of excellent quality wheaten ameracauna chicks coming in April (from John Blehm). YIPPEE! (Thanks for including me, SunnyDawn!) They will lay a true blue egg. So I got to wondering... What are the fun breeding crosses that could originate from a wheaten ameracauna roo/hen?

I'm just a chicken lover... a relative newby by many folk's standards... and not a genetics whiz... What creative things are folks working on? Is there something fun I can do - cross for feathering changes or egg color? These wheatens are perfection in and of themselves... don't need to be improved... I just know that I am going to be as addicted to them as I am to LF cochins!

Thanks!

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I do not know what your olive eggers look like but it might be fun to breed them together and see what happens. Perhaps if they breed trueish you might try to develop your own breed and color variety, could be a lot of fun. I am no genetics whiz either so I can't really help on what a cross between your Wheaten Ameraucana over the Olive eggers would produce? I would guess that it might take you away from the olive egg color and put you on the road to a more blue/teal egg color? As far as Ameraucana projects I know there are people developing Red Ameraucana (much like a Rhode Island Red in color), a Mottled Ameraucana, I believe someone is trying a Salmon Colored Ameraucana (like a Salmon Faverolle). I personally think a Mille Fleur, a Golden Laced and a Silver Laced Ameraucana would be beautiful.

Good Luck with your projects!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I just got some olive eggers from the exact same cross! OMG they are sooo cute- a couple blue and one white and the rest are black. Some have feathered legs.
    I also got a wheaten ameracauna roo. I'm going to put him with my BW hen and my LF blue cochin (that lays really dark eggs) Hopefully she'll (cochin) be my broody and we should get some cute fluffy olive eggers out of her. The more egg colors the better! I'm trying to find some faverolle girls to increase the odds of having nice beards. And I have some splash Orps that I'm thinking about too- to get more blues. [​IMG]

Congrats on your new babies!

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:You can produce blue wheaten.

Wheaten X splash = blue offspring

Wheaten X blue offspring = some blue wheaten birds + other various colors

wheaten X blue wheaten = wheaten and blue wheaten

blue wheaten X blue wheaten = wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten

Tim

5. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Wow! Wow! Wow! [​IMG]

I had to go search the web for photos and information ~ I had never heard of blue wheatens!!! THANKS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by