Wheaten Ameracauna - please let me finally have a girl!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kslizza, Jul 25, 2013.

1. kslizza

kslizza In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    My first ever hatch was ridiculously successful. And while I hatched about 50/50 on the pullet/cockerel ratio - as would be expected, apparently I suck at sexing chickens and kept a lot of boys. So I'm down to three babies from my hatch of 22 chicks after having to move out a bunch of roos. I'm pretty sure this is a pullet, since the WA males look SO different, but I can't find any information about when the coloring differentiates. And with the dark feathers and arch of the tail (which looks different that the truncated look of her sister), I'm getting worried I've done it again.

14 weeks, 3 days

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Wheaten is one of the easiest colors to sex and very early also. The girls grow coloration not far from adult wheaten coloring from very early on and the boys show more patterning and usually start to show a dark spot or feather somewhere on the breast or body from way early on. Like with the first feathers coming out on the breast. By the time they have feathers all over the bodies, the boys will have several dark spots/feathers while the girls will seem much more evenly colored and patterned overall. If a girl has a lot of pattern, it is primarily on the back while the breast is almost twice the lightness and no dark patterning.

your pictures are showing a pullet(s?).

1 person likes this.
  3. kslizza

kslizza In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    Great info! Thanks, Kev. These were pics of a single bird. Glad to hear it's a pullet since it's my son's pick. I felt moderately confident, but I didn't know what all those dark feathers were about.

Follow up question, if I might? One of the four I hatched had more mottled looking feathers, but similar coloring - don't recall any dark spots or feathers. I gave him to a friend of a friend at about two months. She recently told me it's a rooster because his tail got darker and he's been mounting the others. The Wheaten Ameraucanas (finally spelled that right I think!) roosters I've seen have green/black tails and breasts and lots of red. At what point does that coloring happen? I'm still hopeful I gave her a pullet.

4. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Your son did good, she's also a nice looking bird.

Your friend's description is way too vague, sorry. The mottling sounds about right for eventual darkening on the males but then no recollection of any dark feathers is a little confusing.

The differences can be seen as soon as they are feathered all over with the boys being splotchy colored all over. Here's pictures from elsewhere on BYC of young birds-

This is a female. No dark spots.. you can see the adult wheaten hen sort of patterning. Also notice she still has fuzz on her head.. so you see she is way young still(not my bird so no exact ages on any pictures):

[​IMG]

Male- no exact age but notice he still has chick fuzz on head. This one is a little darker than most than this age but this is the general idea- dark spots where it is never dark on wheaten hens and just how dark the colored areas are etc:

[​IMG]

A couple slightly older, just recently grew out feathers on their heads- male in front, female in back.

[​IMG]

5. kslizza

kslizza In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    I think that answers my question. When I gave away Will Wheaten (who I saw at Comic-Con and refrained from telling him I'd named a chicken after him) - she was at least two months and still entirely blond. When I said she looked mottled, she looked like she had poorly-defined lacing on each feather vs. the the more uniform individual feathers of my other girls, but everything was still light. It looks like you would certainly be able to tell at two months. I'll have to get a pic from the new mom but I haven't been receiving the weekly updates I was promised when I handed my babies over!

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    pullet

7. autumnhearth

autumnhearth Songster

Feb 5, 2014
    Berea, Ohio
    [​IMG]Will Wheaton! That's great! I think he would have been flattered, he seems like a good sport.

8. Alright looks like you have a young hen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by