Wheaten Ameraucana? Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stegogirl, Aug 29, 2013.

1. stegogirl

stegogirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Bryan, TX
    I bought a pair of "ameraucana pullets" from a local feed store. As you can see, one was clearly not a pullet! It makes me wonder if they are even ameraucanas. A long time ago, I raised a barred rock hen as a pet, and I began these two as pets, but the hen of these two had other ideas. She never bonded with me. The roo is a little feisty when I let them out of the coop to roam, but he allows me to hold and pet him. He still follows me if he is too far away from the coop. Took a while to "train" him to accept me after puberty hit, but we get along well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any way, I was just wondering if you could help me determine if they are ameraucanas and what variety he is. She just recently started laying, and I am trying to incubate. I don't know if they are fertile yet or not.

[​IMG]

First day outside:

More recently:

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, not an Ameraucana. The coloring is wrong and the comb doesn't look right, though the legs are the correct color. Most "Ameraucanas" that hatcheries/feed stores sell are actually EE, and I think that's what you have.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter eggers both. There's no "kind" of ee, they're just what they are---different colored birds that are bred to lay green or blue eggs. You've got beautiful egg color on your hen! If that rooster is with her and they're the only birds, all those eggs should be fertile. I mean, what else does he have to do? [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Pretty pair of Easter Eggers. That is an interesting comb on your rooster. A lot of my girls don't really start to get tame or friendly until they are laying, and for some reason they can be really wild just before they start laying, so your girl may decide to make friends with you yet. http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html is the link to the Ameraucana club, they have a FAQs page that talks about the difference between EEs and them.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nice EE rooster - I'm with donrae - those eggs are most likely fertile. Not all EE will go broody. You may have to invest in an incubator.

6. stegogirl

stegogirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Bryan, TX
    Thanks a lot! I have started trying to incubate with a heat lamp and one of those laser thermometers that you point and shoot. It's only been 4 days, so I haven't seen anything yet.

I thought she might be getting broody:
    [​IMG]

Later she was not sitting any more :(

I'm looking into getting a small incubator kit though.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Easter Eggers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by