Wheaten ameraucana neck feathers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by watership, Mar 8, 2013.

1. watership

watership Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    I have 8 wheaten ameraucana chicks, almost 2 weeks old. I have read that I can sex them by the color of the shaft of the neck feather as they come in, that males will have black and females brown. But they all look very dark to me! I can tell that one is definitely male as he has very dark feathers along his shoulders above his wings, but all the others are feathering in light brown. Any one know about the neck feathers? The sooner I can pass them out to waiting friends, the better!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    These are my 3 chicks. I looked really good at them this morning and one has a really dark shaft, one in the middle and one light...

Medium:
    [​IMG]

Light:
    [​IMG]

Dark:

[​IMG]

3. watership

watership Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    Thanks, it's helpful to see them feathered out. So, the first two look like pullets and the third a but it's hard to tell as I can't see all of him from your photo, is that what you think?

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I think the first could go either way, the second is a pullet and the third a roo. We shall see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by