Wheaten Ameraucana Rooster turning White after molt?

JoyfulPromise

Songster
13 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Fostoria, MI
Has anyone had this happen before? My 1 1/2 yr old Wheaten Ameraucana rooster is going through his first molt, and almost all his black feathers are growing back in WHITE!!! I bought this rooster as a juvenile (4 months old) from a lady who had ordered hatching eggs from two Ameraucana breeders down south that I think she originally found on BYC. Can't remember the names off-hand. Anyway, he grew up with the correct coloring of black & red, I hatched several chicks from him and my wheaten ladies this year and all the roosters were black & red when mature also! But now he almost looks like a Splash Wheaten or something totally different!
Here are the before and after pictures...

Ferdinand (my Wheaten Roo) before molting (last Winter)
IMG_20170218_122406.jpg

IMG_20170218_122416.jpg

IMG_20170218_122424.jpg

Ferdinand today - during/after molting... (sorry about the fuzzy quality)
IMG_20171101_083831.jpg

IMG_20171101_083820.jpg

IMG_20171101_083828.jpg

Other than his color change he seems to be in good health, is one of my best crowers, and very attentive to his hens. I can't figure it out! Any ideas on what might be happening?

I have seen slight 'whitening' of birds as they mature, but never have I seen a total color change. Subscribed to see what others have to say. I'm sort of amazed.

Love the picture of the hens roosting above him. "What the **** happened to Ferd Ethel? " " I don't know Merge"
I can't believe that's the same rooster.

:lau love it!

And I can't believe it either!

Especially the most recent ones when he lost all the red! Before i thought oh good, at least he kept the red, but NOPE!

The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of recessive gene or something??

That is crazy! Have you contacted the breeder you acquired him from and asked if they know why this happened? I wonder if his offspring will do this as well. That's just unbelievable....

Edited: Sorry, just reread your first post and saw the original breeder info isn't available.

Back
Top Bottom