Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

jaybrenn

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2015
Thoughts on this rooster? I am just learning what to look for. He will be 5 months old Oct. 7th.

Looks like you have a pretty good start to me, much better than a lot of what I see people starting out with. He looks to have a nice long back and pretty good depth. Overall I think he has pretty good type. I like the hackle a little bit darker. What line is he from? And do you have any females to go with him?

chickee

Crowing
Apr 20, 2010
Sierra foothills, California
Looks like you have a pretty good start to me, much better than a lot of what I see people starting out with. He looks to have a nice long back and pretty good depth. Overall I think he has pretty good type. I like the hackle a little bit darker. What line is he from? And do you have any females to go with him?

Hi Jay
smile.png
I see you have come over to the BYC side. He is one of the 3 roosters I hatched out of Peggy's eggs. The other two weren't half as nice as this guy! One had a squirrel tail and the other had a narrow build. All 3 ended up with the proper red wing bars.

Avatar picture is of the nicer of the two pullets I hatched. All of them have super nice personalities. Now I need to decide if I am going to get some hens for this guy.

jaybrenn

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2015
Must be Candace lol? I see an Ameraucana in the background lol. Looks like you have a decent start there with the Marans.

knjinnm

Songster
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Sandia Park, NM
Jay, I like the stripe in the hackle of the male and female. I know when I breed a female she must have the stripe. I can not really say if it makes a difference since my females have to have it or no breeding pen. When all is said and done we will realize that the stripe , like the slate undercolor has something to do with the White showing up. I believe also that it helps with Body color on the male and female.

Hi Don,
Please post a picture of the stripe in the hackle of the male and female you are talking about.
Thanks, Jac

chickee

Crowing
Apr 20, 2010
Sierra foothills, California
Must be Candace lol? I see an Ameraucana in the background lol. Looks like you have a decent start there with the Marans.

Yep, it's me.
lol.png

Guess I better start looking for another line of wheatens (and would love some blue wheatens too) to add next year. These guys are SO sweet! I am hooked on them.
love.gif

Your birds are gorgeous! Too bad they are from the same line.

Top Bottom