Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameracuanas - Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I am assuming I have one cockerel, the dark one. The other one is kind of dark, too. Unless she's just a darker pullet (the one on the right). I am also pretty sure that the only wheaten I have is the one buried in the middle (she's a brighter yellow). Does the blue make the pullets a bit darker at this stage? Anyways, this is my first round of wheaten/blue wheatens and I wanted to check to make sure everyone else saw the same thing I did.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know I have at least on Lavender Orpington cockerel. He kind of stands out like a sore comb. [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The Blue Wheaten in the back looks like a boy, but yes - Female in the middle, Wheaten male on left, I'd watch the BW on the right closely.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Oh no! I thought the BW in the back was a girl! It's lighter than the one on the right (the one I was questioning, too).

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Lightness vs darkness doesn't really matter, it's the amount of blue that does.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Kind of disappointing to get 3 cockerels out of 4 chicks. [​IMG] Oh well. That just means I get to liquidate a few more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by