wheaten/ blue wheaten am's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CarlieO, Feb 27, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    I'm new to Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana breeding but I just hatched out 3 chicks. I'm trying to figure out if they're Wheaten or Blue Wheaten and pullets or cockerels. They are only 4 weeks old but I understand this breed is fairly straight forward to see at that age. Here are the 3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It may be hard to see but the last pic has black feathers at the very bottom of the wings.

Thank you for any and all advice! :)

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The last two photos look like pullets. I've never seen one with the patterning of the top one, so I don't know.

Look at the photos on Ameraucana.org for reference.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    1-male
    2-pullet
    3-pullet

I do not keep wheaten/blue wheaten AMs, but you can ask on the ameraucana thread to be 100% sure.

4. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Thanks for your response! :) I checked out their website but unfortunately they only have images of day old chicks, front shot of them. No side/wing shots. I was wondering if the first one is a Blue Wheaten cockerel. I'm hoping their legs will begin to change color to the more standard color soon.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I didn't notice the legs. They won't change color. It seems that you might have some Easter Eggers instead of Ameraucanas.

I have a Blue Wheaten rooster. He looked nothing like your first photo as a youngster, sorry.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I meant you should ask on the ameraucana thread. If you were a member of the ameraucana club, you could ask on the ABC fourm. I would say the cockerel is a blue wheaten. The pigment will likely fill out eventually. Just takes a little time. Mine normally do not take that long though. My BBS hatch with pinkish toes and then fill out with the slate pigment

ETA more info

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    These came from a breeder who sells her eggs here on BYC. I was fortunate enough to live near her to pick them up directly. Her birds are 100% Ameraucana, no EE's on site. I don't know how I would get an EE from that.

8. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Sorry I didn't even see your original post, lol! I will post the pictures on the Ameraucana thread and see if I get any responses. Thanks for the advice! :)

9. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Their legs do look light for 4 weeks of age. Soon, you'll notice they're graying up, hopefully they'll turn a nice slate. That's one thing different about true Ameraucana, they're born with light legs that turn slate, unlike EE's that have green legs right from the start.

It's hard to tell color so early, my guess is all Wheaten.

I don't know which babies these are compared to hens now, but here are some pics showing a bit of leg color progression.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by